Identifying Contactless Transactions

I would really like to see a small feature introduced where I can see which of my transactions were contactless. I think this would help with money management, as it makes recalling a transaction easier and (possibly) assists with identifying fraudulent activity.

I imagine this could be introduced using the contactless logo alongside the transaction amount, either in the main feed or the transaction overview page. Any thoughts?

15 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing this idea with us, Iā€™m not sure for how many people this would be noise rather than signal but weā€™ll give it a go and see how it feels :slight_smile:

What I donā€™t really get is your comment about fraudulent activity, what do you mean by that? Thanks!

Thanks for your response @hugo!

Iā€™m sometimes a little concerned about the ease of conducting a contactless transaction, so I guess thatā€™s why I raised that point of fraudulent activity.

A scenario in which I see this being useful would be if I have a lot of transactions on a given day, and Iā€™m certain that I have only used a PIN :lock:. If I then see a contactless transaction in my feed (when Iā€™m checking my expenditure at the end of the day) it would allow me to identify that someone/something has used my card without my permission. Granted, this is probably a little extreme, but I do think thereā€™s some value in knowing if a transaction is contactless.

Thereā€™s a nice article here which outlines an industrial approach/view to contactless payments, which I guess I have become accustomed. In short, it says: ā€œ[contactless payments] show up on your bank statement with the universal contactless wave symbol asideā€.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

I would also be keen on seeing contactless transactions being tagged. Useful when looking over past transactions and perhaps as an interesting metric over time.

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to understand why? My watch/phone alerts me when a transaction is made (within secondsšŸ˜®) so doesnā€™t that eliminate most cases of fraudulent activity?
It would be interesting to know what % is contactless but arenā€™t most transaction contactless? (But also whatā€™s the point of knowing this?)

1 Like

Again my interest is purely historical. Yes my Apple Watch buzzes me the moment I make such a transaction but Iā€™d still like to look back at past transactions and identify them.

1 Like

Seems like this feature would be better suited for a report section. so you could have an overlook of your spending from a month / year. Allowing you to get a sense of your spending habits

+1 to identify contactless transactions.

Additionally, it might be good to be able to identify ā€˜cardholder not present transactionsā€™. The reason being that I occasionally see transactions on my card which I do not recognise (less likely with mondo) and I donā€™t know if have used my card and forgot, my card has been cloned etc. The added detail may be useful, especially when the transaction is delayed e.g. buying tickets for an event and being charged later when the tickets are dispatched.

2 Likes

Usually cardholder not present transactions would have Online transaction written under the merchant name and logo. Other transaction would have an address instead.

It would be nice to see a litte next to a transaction.

11 Likes

Personally I think it would just be clutter on the main timeline but wouldnā€™t mind it as part of grey footer on the transaction info screen

5 Likes

FYI Handelsbanken simply identify PayWave transactions on statements by prefixing retailer name with a * character, e.g.:

ā€œ*Bootsā€ for contactless
"Boots" for chip and pin

Iā€™d like it on the transaction info screen if it provided as much information about the transaction as possible ā€œContactlessā€, ā€œChip and Pinā€, ā€œChip and Signatureā€, ā€œOnline - CVV, Expiry and address matchā€, ā€œOnline - No CVV, Expiry or address checkā€, ā€œOnline - CVV and Expiry match, Address failed to matchā€.

2 Likes

+1

Iā€™m digging through old transactions because something has been refunded and knowing if it was contactless wouldā€™ve helped.

2 Likes

I second this suggestion. I even made a post here but turns out you already have! :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™d like this alsoā€¦ while we may get instant notifications (almost every time), it is helpful to view the transaction screen on a historical basis and see such useful information. Itā€™s especially useful as the ecosystem expands and users employ things like Curve, which introduce an additional point of confusion/conflict/delay.

Wouldnā€™t bother me if this was here. I donā€™t really see how itā€™s necessary with Monzo though. The reason many banks identify it is because itā€™s not real-time notifications, so itā€™s harder to spot if your card is being used. With Monzo, either way itā€™s instant so you know.

Getting a refund - genuinely interested why it matters if it was contactless or not?

There were complications with a transaction a while ago and one of the attempts was contactless.

As a side note, I currently donā€™t have notifications enabled.

Ah - well I would hope thatā€™s a very rare/niche issue. That being said, just because itā€™s no use to me doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t to others so Iā€™d not stand in the way of it being introduced :upside_down_face:

No notifications?! Thatā€™s the best part of Monzo!

My Barclaycard and Tesco CC apps do this and itā€™s relatively useful. Personally I would like to extend the request so that we can have a little icon to identify ā€˜card not presentā€™ tranactions (which overlaps with but is subtly different from the current ā€˜onlineā€™ indication in the transaction detail).

1 Like