Idea: Card Activation simplfication

When typing the xxx-xxx-xxx number into the app to activate a card, it would be great if the app automatically put the dashes in. For example, if I type “123456789”, the screen should show “123-456-789”. Similarly if I type “123-456-789” the screen should show “123-456-789”. A good example of a website that does this well is xbox.com when you try to “Redeem a Code”.

Reason for the idea - Initially I typed the number in with the dashes and it failed, so i had to re-type it without the dashes.

2 Likes

Marta beat you to suggesting this idea but only just :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doh! Didn’t see that. Apologies for the duplicate!

2 Likes

Hi @adrianlovell, I see I was not alone, that’s nice! I was wondering badly what would have happened if I had entered dashes… I was planning on testing this on my flatmate (38k’th in the queue…:eyes:), but now I don’t have to. :smiley:

1 Like

This is one of those tweaks which could make our on boarding process that extra bit smoother :sunglasses: I may be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t any reason why we wouldn’t look at this at some point @hugo ?

1 Like

Well, I really hope that by the moment we have current accounts and debit cards we’ll stop printing token numbers in cards. I imagine a moment in which we’ll ask you to type the last few digits of the card and the CVV maybe, something like that? I’m sure it won’t be a problem to trim :haircut:

2 Likes

could a barcode or OCR be used, so you just take a picture of your card in app ?

I wonder if, as part of the letter packing process at Monzo, an NFC reader could be used to read the long card number inside an already packed letter and be paired with a user when the address label is printed. This way, for the large majority of cases, a user would only have to somehow confirm on activation that the card they received is the same one that Monzo sent to prevent any kind of in transit swapping.

2 Likes

I think that iOS devices cant read NFC (the NFC is locked down for apple pay only), would work on android though

You’re half right in that statement, NFC on iOS is Apple Pay only but the iPhone 7 is capable of reading and writing FeliCa cards.

That’s not what I’m thinking of here, though NFC card activation on Android would be cool, I’m thinking of the Monzo service being aware of what card was sent out to a customer by scanning the card before it is put in the post. There are probably rules around card number handling and issues with cards in transit that would prevent this from working smoothly though.

Maybe not so bad if card was frozen, before being posted, all the user would have to do is unfreeze it

This is potentially a good solution but because all the cards are still packed by hand, and considering the volume we’re processing each day, I’m not sure it would be very efficient at present. This is also true :point_down:

Depending on the on boarding process for brand new customers, once we introduce current accounts with pre-allocated account numbers, this could change completely.