Icon Badge to show current balance

I think it would be a great idea to have an option for the icon badge to show your current balance? I know some weather apps etc can show the current temperature as the icon badge, so there must be a way of implementing this.

2 Likes

I think this would be a security/privacy risk for most people.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable having this feature enabled.

4 Likes

Sounds like a security/privacy issue waiting to happen, in my opinion.

1 Like

On iOS you have the widget and Android you can use IFTTT to display a daily budget. Hopefully an actual Android widget will be added in the future.

It’s not really a security issue, perhaps a privacy one - but if it’s optional and off by default it doesn’t really matter.

That said, showing it as an app icon badge is a bit of a clunky and inelegant way to do it.

1 Like

Feel as though this would a security/privacy issue therefore wouldn’t want to have this information displayed.

1 Like

At the end of the day it’s all down to choice, it would be up to the user if they wanted this switched on.

1 Like

What about if we look at it from a icon design standpoint.

How do you suppose it would work?

I think it would probably be against the design guidelines for the platforms to show something other than notification count in the badge. I can’t think of any other apps that do something different.

1 Like

Absolutely agreed. Maybe a colour indicatior (red/orange/green) depending on budget remaining? Definitely don’t want the figure.

Also a very valid point. Opens up a whole new can of worms. iOS doesn’t natively do it at the moment and I don’t think Android does, so it wouldn’t be easy to implement.

I think it’s a cool idea @Ukdamon :clap:t3:

Fantastical does it to show the current date, and I believe a few other calendar apps do too. So nothing new there.

Fantastical :v:t2:

The original post was talking about the badge, which is the little number in the red circle. Dynamic icons are totally possible, but it’s not quite the same deal as a calendar. There’s a much smaller set of possible values that a calendar can show, and it only needs to change once a day. (Of course the iOS clock updates continuously but I suspect that’s not available to developers). Even then, Apple are real picky about what these features are used for.

2 Likes

Yeah and I’m also talking about the badge…

See image:

That would drive me insane.

I would constantly feel like there were things that needed my attention! :joy:

2 Likes

Same! it looks like all they are doing is setting the unread count to the same number as the date…