I redesigned the Monzo Debit Card! What are your thoughts?

I like the design but agree with others, the coral colour really does stand out, and a lot of people comment on it. Maybe another ‘hot’ colour card would be best?

3 Likes

You are different don’t join the rest in some non discript card Keep it bright and a talking point. When I use my card people comment and ask questions
Why change

3 Likes

Raised nos are not accessible. Braille would be better for those who need it. Many cards don’t have raised nos now - I think they’re just a holdover from those paper imprint machines people used to use. Not unusual on new cards to move the no to the back either.

Re csv + no together I don’t think that’s any significant hurdle they’re not going to be storing pics of a card but text records.

Re the blank cards I’d have no objection if it were actually functional :wink:

2 Likes

The good old days when the tills went down and you had to use the voucher, machine and phone for authorisation. And nobody complained about how long it took.

The chip is on the top and feels different so probably is useful for those with sight difficulties

1 Like

Still happens to this day. ASDA have used manual NCR slips with the machines that slide over the embossed numbers when their systems went down a couple of times in the last few years. They declined cards without embossed numbers and asked for another form of payment.

4 Likes

Well, looking at the Monzo logo there are 4 colours.

We’ve already got Hot Coral, so what about

• Hot Yellow
  • Hot Green?
  • Hot Turqouise?
3 Likes

Too many banks have a hot green, Penta, Fidor, etc

2 Likes

Hot yellow for joint accounts
Hot coral for individual
Hot turquoise for children’s

9 Likes

Good idea, then there’s a choice but limiting it to a few ranges.

Really love this design, thanks so much for sharing! :raised_hands:t2:

Although hot coral is baked into our identity now (and is unlikely to change anytime soon), it’s really important to try out new ideas and question our assumptions.

We can take some inspiration from this for future design updates!

2 Likes

I think a lot of other establishments have developed a solid brand identity, and then they’ve selected the most awful garish card colour because they’ve seen hot coral work well for Monzo. This leads to significant brand confusion and it makes me feel nauseous whenever I see one in public.

Monzo selected hot coral at a very early stage and made it core to the branding. We created Hot Chip as a mascot and use hot coral accents throughout the product. I would say hot coral is bold but not garish.

Yellow, green, and turquoise definitely are - and we see proof of this in the wild!

I guess imitations are never as good as the original :innocent:

10 Likes

I would really love to see a pastel blue card, or us being able to choose our own designs. Something like this -

https://www.frankbyocbc.com/products/cards/card-designs.html

where monzo members or artists can submit their designs to be put on the card! I would love to choose my own design. Hot coral is great but I prefer different shades of blue and I’m sure everyone else have their own ideal card colours/designs

4 Likes

I’m guessing you’re Singaporean? I mentioned this quite early on when I first joined the forums, several banks eg Barclays allow you to choose a custom image to be put on the card. I would like a choice of colours/ designs for Monzo at some point down the line (maybe in line with their logo colour) but I think atm the hot coral card is central to their brand identity and helps with getting the word around!

4 Likes

yeah i am! i read the sg discussion page and omg so many useful tips from you hahahaha.

ah i see! yeah i thought so too about coral being their identity and i read that they weren’t planning to change it anytime soon but i thought it could be worth a shot, since monzo are very connected to their members/users. and i thought the idea of contribution art would help build monzo as a collaborative platform.

maybe a seasonal kind of deal? or having a hot coral strip on the side, and the rest a design? or a designed strip with the rest being hot coral

2 Likes

I’d actually love the idea of limited edition designs (or even tiered cards eg for Alpha/ Beta/ Investor users!). I guess it would be similar to the LE Passion card/ EZ-link seasonal designs.

They’ve previously run design competitions for Monzo tees, it would be nice to do the same for card designs tbh. There are a couple of really nice card mock-ups and even app design layouts I really like on here.

I think I still navigate SG a lot like a tourist, apart from my own neighbourhood I’m hardly in the heartlands :joy: and omg it didn’t click in my head that you followed me on IG since I didn’t realise it was your username :joy: p.s. Love your hair! :raised_hands:t3::heart:

2 Likes

My Virgin credit card has the numbers all on the back (https://www.virgin.com/news/virgin-money-launches-sex-pistols-credit-cards - I’ve got the Anarchy in the UK one)

Completely smooth card, no embossed numbers/letters

Only issue i’ve had was a receptionist in a hotel being slightly confused where the numbers were.

1 Like

We have this expensive neon sign in the office, which we would have to put on eBay if we moved away from hot coral :slight_smile:

IMG_0543

21 Likes

Get some other colours and new neon signs to go with them :wink::grin:

Why so much discussion over a card? Am I failing to grasp the appeal? Wow. :thinking::confused:

4 Likes

I love the bright colours! Please doing go boring!

1 Like