Huel, Saturo, yfood etc

Oh, if you find one please DM me! I won’t get any this weekend but may try next week

I’ve got the standard referral deal, if you’d like it. £10 off a > £40 order. Nudge me on here or DM if you’d like the code.

Had a few days this week where I needed to grab a very quick meal and so I tried the RTD vanilla and chocolate flavours of Huel. Must say it’s come quite some way since the early days of feeling like I’m just drinking flour mixed with water. The vanilla was somewhat reminiscent of those days although still very drinkable. I am not normally a fan of chocolate flavoured stuff but it was nicer than the vanilla I think. I noticed the texture less.

Might have to give the other flavours a go too – thanks again @BritishLibrary for the code.

@N26throwaway if your chocolate RTDs are still in date, I’m sure we can work something out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

White lid ones:

Black lid ones:

Black lid ones are going in the trash! 🙅

Message me a postal address and I can get a few in the post to you sometime next week!

I tried the chocolate rtd one from Tesco I thought it was too sweet, I probably could have finished it if I was hungrier, they didn’t have any other flavours in which was a shame.

Taking one for the team* and actually going to try the Vegan variant of YFood’s chocolate flavour. Just ordered some now, and will report back with comparisons to the non-vegan version and Saturo.

*not actually being selfless here. Apparently, if I do travel to Europe next month, I can’t take dairy with me, and so I wouldn’t be able to take my regular Yfood bottles. Saturo is also sold out on Amazon currently, has been for a while, and my last two subscribe and save orders were cancelled by Amazon. Which doesn’t spell well.

Is there anything stopping me from going the subscribe & save option with Huel, then cancelling my subscription a week or so later?

No, I always do it, although I don’t order that often.

Disclaimer that I haven’t done it in a few months so there’s a small chance something has changed.

So I’m back on my Huel and enjoying it once again, just like before.

My original thoughts still stand. It’s takes me couple of hours to consume slowly and is a proper new replacement in terms of how filling it is.

I used to down the Yfood in under five mins as it was no way near as dense.

I think the moral for me is to stick to what I know. After getting used to Yfood I really didn’t enjoy going back to Huel. It would be nice to have more variety but Huel does a real job for me and I don’t wanna mess around experimenting.

Has anyone done any research on water filters? I’m thinking of moving away from the plastic clad Brita…
Found these guys and they seem interesting. You get a refill to put into the filter…

1 Like

Just tried vegan Yfood, chocolate flavour. It’s not bad by any means, but the taste is a bit off. It’s much sweeter than the non-vegan one, but with a weird aftertaste I’m not sure how to describe. Almost sour.

They’re drinkable, but I won’t be buying them again.

Got two bags of Plenny Shake in the mail today. One is their brand new Coconut flavor, which I am very happy with! The other is the Pistachio flavour, which I plan on trying out tomorrow.

Glad to have a new vegan coconut option :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YFood certainly come out with some interesting flavours… Lemon Cheesecake…

In other news, salted caramel and hazelnut are now permanent additions to their lineup of flavours.

Oh! And bars are back too! Old flavours are gone though, which is a shame, because their white chocolate bars were to die for! As someone who loves a good snickers (or any hazelnut chocolate bar for that matter), chocolate and hazelnut might be worth try. Just hope these are as good as the bars they replace.

2 Likes

Well I really should report back on my Huel experience I think. Got myself some Mac n Cheese, Madras and a couple of bags of v3 powder.

I don’t think I ever ate anything as horrible as the Mac N Cheese. It has a weird texture, some of the pasta stays completely dry and crunchy and the taste is of some weird chemical-y powder.

The Madras is really good though, but I wish it had fewer tiny crunchy seeds. I will have to make an effort to get through these bags, and I’m not really sold on Hot & Savoury from these experiences.

The powder though is pretty great for lunch. It’s either the new shaker or the powder but it doesn’t really clump together anymore so it’s a great cheaper alternative to the ready to drinks

3 Likes

Well I’m definitely trying hazelnut for my next bag!

Update from me while I’m here. Am nearly 2 bags through YFood, both chocolate so far.

I wasn’t very impressed with it compared to RTD (probably obviously) at the start, but either I’ve got better at shaking or just used to it :woman_shrugging:t2: and am pretty happy with it as my lunch every day I work from home.

Couldn’t justify the cost of RTD but I feel the powder is p reasonable with the subscription discount as well, and really love not having to ‘think’ about food in the middle of an annoying work day.

Whatever brand you’re using, I strongly recommend blending and refigerating before consuming.

The thought of how terrible the result from just shaking would be doesn’t feel like something I’d enjoy drinking.

1 Like

I’ve used shakers quite a bit and you need the right shakers for the right powder but generally it’s alright. You can get it as smooth as blending, just takes more time and effort.

Agree with refrigeratoring though, really helps!

2 Likes

Haha so I am currently blender-less but I will definitely switch when we do get one. As breville says, shaking can be okay, but def a lot more effort.

Agreed re refrigerating! I do whenever I remember to make the night before.

1 Like

I should be advertising my products better! Let me try again.

If you do get a blender the single serve ones where you blend inside the drinking bottle itself are the best option. Like this one:

Breville Blend Active Personal Blender & Smoothie Maker with 2 Portable Blending Bottles (600ml), 300W, Green [VBL062] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DGLUW4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FG72CM21SJ77X41GJ5H2

2 Likes

Just bought a lemon cheesecake from co op to find out if I like lemon cheesecake before buying this flavour of Yfood!

It sounds so good! And I do like Gu’s cheesecake, but that’s not lemon cheesecake!

If I like the lemon cheesecake, I’ll buy some of these! I’m curious to try salted caramel too!

1 Like