HSBC chat

Yes, none are really comparable to HSBC except maybe at the lower tiers. Certainly they are the best for global reach.

Taking Lloyds as an example, you have:

1. Classic = HSBC Bank Account
  2. Club Lloyds = HSBC Advance
  3. Lloyds Private Banking = HSBC Premier equivalent, not real private banking

There then is no higher tier at all, or anything with global links. They do have an international division but it’s basically just for keeping money offshore like HSBC Expat.

Santander have branches in quite a few other countries and there is some access to them if you are a Select customer (their Premier equivalent, again).

I don’t think any other bank helps you set up accounts abroad like HSBC.

2 Likes

HSBC’s UK operations are profitable.

Ironically, HSBC used to be the biggest shareholder in Ping An.

HSBC used to offer full retail banking in lots more countries - sadly no longer. Very few countries such as Japan were HSBC Premier only.

1 Like

They didn’t break it down further. I highly doubt that their UK basic retail consumer market is anywhere nearly as profitable as the Premier and International customers.

They did break it down further:

WPB UK = Their UK Wealth and Personal Banking operations.

Some of the slides may be interesting as they also mention Monzo.

The wealth side was relatively small

Interesting that elsewhere they plan to double FD customers by 2026…

4 Likes

Do you have a link, please?

1 Like

The slides are from the 16 June 2022 presentation at Investor events and presentations | HSBC Holdings plc

Their is also a webcast and some interesting stats about their IT spend there

5 Likes

I think they need to do something about First Direct. At the moment, their brand seems all over the place and im not entirely sure who they are really targeting anymore.

7 Likes

I know, but arguably it has never been their focus - even back then, it was more of a side element of the business.

That sounds ambitious when First Direct seem to make changes very slowly and conservatively; very little is different now than when then-boss Joe Gordon announced plans for a radical overhaul. However, I agree with @Lightning720 that the brand is a mess and needs attention.

2 Likes

I would actually love to see this, the whole FD brand and app look super nice I think.

I had heard it was going to be “the next Monzo” bit that was under the tenure of the old boss and It feels like they don’t know what to do with it anymore.

Shame

4 Likes

Well, according to that deck that was posted above, HSBC are going to make first direct the “challenger of challengers”.

OK hun. I’ll believe that when I see it babes.

9 Likes

I’d love to see spending notifications, open banking in the same black and white format, and a form of pots/spaces.

2 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it too, they’ve said this for a few years now and nothing much as changed.

Hopefully it might start to soon

2 Likes

This has some interesting stats about Monzo in the mix:

(WPB is wealth and private banking, the HSBC UK division that the personal current account fits into).

Also: no mention of any challenger except Monzo in the deck.

2 Likes

I don’t bank with HSBC and probably never will, so from someone who uses them, do you like them? Are they a good bank overall

1 Like

They are good in that they have all the instant notifications the same as the new banks do but apart from that noting special

4 Likes

First Direct and Co-operative Bank don’t have very many young customers at all based on that, which is no surprise!

As for an overall verdict on HSBC: I concur that they are OK, as traditional banks go, but nothing special.

3 Likes

I really like their “balance after bills” feature. It constantly updates, letting you know what your balance will be after DDs and SOs. You can edit it, too, unlike Monzo’s DD predictions.

3 Likes

The main issue for a lot of people with FD is you need to technically qualify for an overdraft to even open an account. There isn’t any diversity in their accounts really to have a large customer base, especially young people who might struggle to qualify for the overdraft.

Edit: for the life of me I cannot find the page on their website talking about eligibility checking so maybe they have stopped this now. It used to say something similar to the HSBC Advance account:

2 Likes

That’s no longer the case with First Direct (it may have been in the past), only HSBC Advance has that requirement.

Of course, one of the key selling points is the interest-free overdraft of up to £250 so most would at least want that to use the account.

I applied without an overdraft myself as I just wanted to be accepted for the bonus and had no real intention of using the account, plus with HSBC’s famously tight lending criteria I was concerned that they’d reject my application if I asked for one.

2 Likes

Yes, they’ve done away with this now as far as I know.

I doubt this is the reason they don’t have much diversity. Great customer service plus an “app” to bank with is very 2012. They haven’t really innovated much since then if it all.

I would actually love for FD to have a renaissance and if they did I’d probably bank with them. I like the app and I think they have one of the best “tone of voice” structures out there. But, they are a dinosaur in a field of meteors.

4 Likes