HSBC chat

Ah, of course, I meant the ICO :woman_facepalming: Will correct it now. Although you’re right, this is probably small fry

1 Like

£175 Switching Bonus now with HSBC Advance Account!

3 Likes

Where? :sweat_smile:

Edit:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/

Still no account since 2019 criteria :worried:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered how much these bribes really help. We know most people don’t switch accounts and we also know many of the people using these offers will just go from one account to another so HSBC doesn’t really gain those customers for very long. I assume they must help consider they have so many of them.

2 Likes

Something odd which I’ve noticed with the HSBC app today. I’ve got 3 DDs coming out on Tuesday and they are showing as pending in online banking, pending via open banking in Emma but no sign of them in the app.

If I go into Manage Bills in the app they are shown with a “last paid” date of next Tuesday but they’re not listed on the main account screen as pending.

1 Like

For me they usually do show in the app as pending before the due date?

I wonder if a temporary issue meant they didn’t show when you looked earlier?

They do for me on a normal weekend, too - I see upcoming payments for Monday on the previous Friday. There are none showing in the app this morning, though.

I’ve checked with a couple of family members and they have DDs due on Tuesday which are showing in online banking but not in the app, too. I suspect that they’ll appear tomorrow like a normal Monday.

1 Like

Did they ever appear early at all in the end?

As you say, I suspect it was just a glitch in how their systems calculated the bank holiday and no more than that.

2 Likes

Yeah - they showed as pending on Easter Monday as if it was just a normal day. I agree that it appears to have been a bank holiday glitch.

1 Like

Interesting that online banking showed everything properly but the app didn’t. That suggests that the two both generate their respective pending views differently, which seems like an unnecessary complication in systems. I wonder if the app works off a different back-end, but the online banking uses a direct link into their mainframe systems?

1 Like

It also showed them properly via Open Banking, too.

I’ve posited this before when there has been a similar disparity between the app and online banking.

1 Like

You would sort of expect that, in a way.

Open Banking is always derived from Online Banking transaction records, whereas apps usually use some kind of custom API behind the scenes.

1 Like

You have to remember that HSBC is using a global platform that’s developed for all countries, and then their individual country specific features are added on.

HSBC UK has just recently moved to the new global app platform, so it probably takes a little while for the developers to integrate UK specific features like direct debits etc. into the app.

1 Like

My understanding was that there were effectively two global platforms.

1. Shared code for a front-end, altered but used as a base for country-specific apps.

2. Shared mainframe code for the same IT platform across the world. This has many benefits like reduced IT costs due to decreased complexity, easier migration of customer records to other jurisdictions if they open foreign accounts, and facilitation of a single “Global View” showing all a cusotmer’s accounts across the Group without the need to write custom integration code for each country.

We don’t really know what is happening on the backend, as HSBC obviously don’t publicly say, but we do know that they’ve recently moved the app to the latest front-end app template code.

It’s possible this is related, but presumably as the feature is generally working it’s just an oddity in how they’ve coded for bank holidays rather than a missing system function? You would assume their standard template code does include provision for public holidays anyway, so it’s all a bit odd.

I would hazard a guess that the UK specific add-ons are carried across to their new code base, which include ‘historic’ ideas that public holidays mean a stop to the banking system, which is still kind of applicable today because no BACS or DDs happen on those dates

3 Likes

Yes, that’s probably how it works in simple terms.

This sort of thing is similar to the discussions we’ve been having in the clock change thread, really. Because the bank obviously doesn’t really “shut down” completely in either case, how you deal with transactions then becomes an issue.

All major payment schemes do “close” for a bank holiday, but Faster Payments still operate (with a credit date of the next working day). Also, a “closed” day doesn’t not exist - it should therefore behave as expected with features like future views of upcoming BACS payments. So, like Monzo’s Get Paid Early, the upcoming view should still allow you to see a “next working day payment” even if that is three or four “real days” ahead.

1 Like

Would still be nice to see Kinetic come to consumer use not just business, adapted to spend trends not business spends.

2 Likes

Managed to get logged in to my old account after a pleasant call to their online team (moving twice and changing my mobile number since having this account was consuming to resolve).

Nice to see the app has come a long way though. Seems quite slick and the chat function works as expected.

Tried to find my code for the TestFlight version but I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.

Not sure if they were specific to each user, so if anyone can share :crossed_fingers:t3::joy:

2 Likes

The TestFlight version was one build only, effectively just an early release of the redesigned app based on the latest version of the global platform.

Since then everybody has been moved back to the App Store version where they’ve released regular updates.

1 Like

Ah thanks! Wondered why I couldn’t find anything online :sweat_smile:

1 Like