HSBC chat

I am and I don’t, as yet.

1 Like

Ah, you’ll have to sit tight to wait for the latest of HSBC’s famous phased rollouts to get to you!

1 Like

Good to know it’s coming though. I’m really keen to see what the spending insights might look like

1 Like

There was something about that on Customer Studio not long ago, it looked a bit like per category and merchant information was the main feature and a transaction level analysis was also possible.

It was pretty good overall, I think!

Yeah I saw that, it was what made me interested in potentially going back to HSBC as a main account again.

However, the tortoise like process for getting setup is painful, to say the least.

1 Like

I’ve heard some recent feedback that it hasn’t been as bad as it was in the past, it may be even easier if you haven’t moved or changed details since you were last a customer?

Well we’re on three days so far since applying - they are keeping me informed though which is nice.

I’m not a new customer, so my journey may well be atypical and therefore slower, in fairness to them

1 Like

Yeah, I remember previous complaints were often that it took a long time to wait for things which had been posted - yet no messages or emails were sent in the meantime, so waits were frustrating. At least they’ve improved that!

1 Like

Omg…

1 Like

Mine on android

1 Like

Does it matter? It’s 2022 and iPhones have plenty of storage.

4 Likes

Arguably yes, it does matter.

Not only is code optimisation good for performance and avoiding wasted space (implying their app isn’t optimised, so performance likely isn’t what it could be) but not everyone does have loads of storage.

The base model could fill up relatively quickly, and many will not be able to easily afford storage upgrades at purchase time. Something as mundane as a banking app shouldn’t need almost a gigabyte of space.

However, I do wonder if this bloat is actually temporary and possibly caused by their changes to Digital Secure Key? Because it’s a phased rollout, the code for both versions must currently be included and I’m sure that does add up to significant wasted space. Once it’s no longer a feature-flag, and a instead a core feature, code can be refactored and the old system can be ripped out.

6 Likes

Well, less than 0.5 GB but I see your point.

It just reminded me of the outrage when Windows software went over the 1MB threshold years ago :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I didn’t make myself clear - I was doubling it, as HSBC have separate personal and business apps, so a customer could conceivably have to download two apps just for that one bank.

I don’t know if the business app is a similar size, but I assume it may be.

Well this was unexpected. I got a letter from HSBC about a £1 transfer into a savings account (to stop it from becoming dormant) and also several letters to other HSBC customers about their savings and transfers too.

Nice job, HSBC :exploding_head:

Edit: made it harder to see any deets

4 Likes

Just to say I think you might need to further edit the image as the scribbling has an opacity <100%, and it doesn’t fully cover the text. With the combo of those two, the full personal details could be made out with a bit of image editing prowess

That said, complaint to HSBC and maybe notify the ICO?

4 Likes

Ah I see, updated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ofcom will have no interest whatsoever.

Do let HSBC know though. They obviously have/had an issue with their printers.

I had this once with TSB.

2 Likes

It’s a data protection breach – not sure who else would be interested. In the past I’ve read about cases like this the bank refused to consider a complaint because the customer complaining wasn’t the one whose details have been leaked

Ofcom regulate media and telecommunications firms - not data protection issues.

You could try the ICO I guess, but the most effective way is to complain directly to HSBC about it… on the basis that if it happened to others, it could happen to you.

This allows them to resend the letters to the correct recipients and probably pay @JIMMWX a small amount in financial compensation.

3 Likes