How to stay safe online

I recently looked at my logs and I was shocked about how many apps are sending so much data even when the app isn’t being used. And for reasons you wouldn’t expect that app to need to send data (news apps sending location data in the middle of the night).

1 Like

Welcome to the world of Apps! Data = :dollar:. That’s pretty much all it comes down to!

1 Like

Depends on the app really, and how they process data. Googles entire model relies on having data profiles identified back to a specific person, not every company works this way.

1 Like

VPNs are useful if you’re connecting to an secured WiFi hotspot or you want to bypass filters. They don’t necessarily mean you’re untracked because if you log into a website then it will have your details and will record the IP address.

Google Chrome is worth using as a browser because it sandboxes. This makes it harder to get infected by drive by etc.

Antivirus if you’re using Windows definitely. I would say for Mac’s and Linux as well. Most malware is written for Windows but that is changing.

If you have a Mac, stop by the web page Objective See. It’s run by someone into Mac security and they’ve written some free tools that help.

The national cyber security council also provide pages and guides on how to spot fake website links and emails and other guides to help you stay safe online.

1 Like

How to stay safe online? Don’t do anything you wouldn’t want your grandmother to see you as or see you do.

4 Likes

Centre*

They do provide good information. I’ve seen they have one for staying safe online

They make a good point on one of their tips, smart phone security. Secure them! PIN, fingerprint, faceID etc. Your phone tends to have unfiltered access to everything required to gain access to all your accounts, make sure its secure, and up to date.

1 Like

I use a 56k dial up modem, it’s taken me this long since my last reply on here to post this so I am safe.

2 Likes

Kinda depends on what you want her to see really doesn’t it :eyes: :thinking:

3 Likes

Has been mentioned, but I’m going to mention it again:

Have a different password for everything that you have to log in to.
Completely different - nothing cute like changing a base password slightly between each site. “ilikedogsGoogle” and “ilikedogsAmazon” would be no-nos, frex.

Worried about coping? Use a password manager - I recommend 1Password. Put a secure (long) password on the vault, and let the software manage the rest.

This is the single best way of ensuring that if anything you use gets breached, it’s only that one thing that gets breached.

Use the same password on J Random Forum as you do Amazon and your email and your social media? Buddy, you’re looking at a world of trouble.

Obligatory link to Have I Been Pwned to illustrate the point.

2 Likes

After reading this very interesting thread, there seems to be done very good advice here, great stuff.

I need to change to way I’m doing things, so as a start I’m looking at password managers with a free one to start off with to see how it goes, I’ve just downloaded ‘lastpast’, does anyone have any options or or reviews on this or is the a better free one that could be recommended ?

I’m also looking at the Nord and Hotspot Shield VPN too as I’m told these will also help, especially when I’m doing banking etc in my phone or laptop.

Thanks anyway and keep up the great advice

It’s not free but after years of stubbornly refusing to use a password manager (what’s wrong with password123?) I have to use 1password for one of my jobs. I begrudgingly admit it’s really good and easy to use :grin:

4 Likes

It’s worth trying both LastPass and 1Password to see which one you prefer.

NordVPN, Private Internet Access, Express VPN are all good.

This is the moment I changed my online behaviour:

1 Like

If you log on to a website using a VPN, they’ll record your VPN endpoint, not your actual IP address.

1 Like

Sure. But if you’re using a VPN, what is it able to track?

I stick a little bit of a post-it note on my laptop camera if that makes me safe? Can’t see what I’m doing then.

I wear a mask and hoodie too. Here is a quick photo I took:

2 Likes

I think we may have Skyped.

1 Like

At this stage you’re starting to get beyond the need or skill of the average user.

a VPN may hide your source IP address from Google, but it wont hide cookies, logins if you’ve logged into good, browser identification via metrics from the browser (most browsers have a fairly unique signature), a site you visit and login to has the potential to identify you to google by association. Browsing habits may identify you by association linking your VPN browsing to your non VPN browsing.

There is a point where you can say ive done enough even though google might still partially profile me, not using their services, not using a google account etc. generally is enough. But if you want to stop google identifying you completely, you’ll have a much harder time, and its for the most part not worth the effort or cost for the perceived gains for the average personal.

VPNs have their use, public WIFi like you mentioned, travel from other countries potentially depending on your needs, most people maybe dont need to worry about that, but more people might find it useful than some other use-cases.

1 Like

I use lastpass, never tried any others, and it is the one I recommend, however with FaceID and iOS password facility I am now adding my passwords to iOS for the sites I access more regularly on my iPhone :wink:

I use Firefox with uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. They block all ads and trackers on sites :man_shrugging: