How to 'show off' the current account?

First of all, I’m not sure if this is just me, or something that others are thinking about, so I thought I’d just throw it out there…

I’m one of the lucky people who were invited to try the new current account - great! Looks good, and seems to work well. However, unlike the prepay version, I think I’d be far less likely to walk someone else through the various screens to show it off and convert someone to the Monzo cause.

Why? Well, it’ll have all the details on my salary, what I pay for rent/mortgage, any finance related direct debits etc. Perhaps I don’t want everyone to know that I couldn’t quite afford the new shiny car I got last month, and am in fact paying some shady finance company for it…

My point is that unlike the prepay card, where I’m basically showing off how much beer I bought, walking someone through the current account carries a lot more private information with it, and so people may be less likely to do it.

I don’t have a solution for this - perhaps explainer videos, perhaps dummy data, who knows?

I thought it was worth a mention as Monzo has done so well out of the viral nature of the product, and it’d be a shame to dent that.

7 Likes

short explainer videos would be my vote, or perhaps the ability to toggle on / off to obscure the amounts in your feed - presumably quite difficult to do ? - totally agree that Current Account information will discourage enthusiastic users showing their friends their monthly financial details which Im sure has driven quite a lot of growth so far for Monzo pre paid card

2 Likes

This has come up in a different thread as well. I’d like to see:

https://community.monzo.com/t/privacy-options-for-the-app/10950/6

As I said in follow-up (click the :arrow_down_small: to see the images):

https://community.monzo.com/t/privacy-options-for-the-app/10950/8?u=jzw95

4 Likes

Good stuff. I’m glad it’s being discussed. I think anything that introduces friction into the viral nature of Monzo is a bad thing!

2 Likes

I’d love to see a produced video that shows all the features that could entice a new customer added into the app that I could play when needed without showing everyone my balance & transactions.

2 Likes