How to save for a house deposit šŸ 

Itā€™s not about the last 70 years; itā€™s specifically about the last 10. House prices are affected by a lot of factors at all times, but my point is that the dominant one in recent history has been the prolonged near-zero rates, which has allowed for quite a lot of money to be created. So what happened before that is, largely, irrelevant because there were so many other confounding factors. But run it through your head for a minute. If interest rates are 1% (to the consumer), a person can afford to borrow X. But if interest rates are 5%, then they can afford to borrow a lot less than X. Itā€™s not the only factor, and the pressures from Buy-to-Let loom large here, but I think itā€™s really easy to see just what has happened in recent history with historically low rates. Your 70 year data is irrelevant :wink:.

Itā€™s strange that you would quote Molior supposedly in support of your argument, given that their data shows the exact opposite. Oops.

I donā€™t concede it because I never denied it! Because itā€™s obviously true from the data. But itā€™s assuming that the trend will continue thatā€™s flawed.

Yeah, this discussion is terribly simplistic. If you want both barrels I have plenty more :wink:. But it seems quite the job to convince people of the simple truth that housing is not a one-way bet, even if it has been for some time at the end of the 20th century.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how people are looking at it i suppose. I want my own place, because i want my own place and land. I donā€™t want to have to get permission to do anything all the time. Its not necessarily a monetary investment, though in the long run there shouldnā€™t be any huge down turns in valuation of a property. like anything things go up and down. Iā€™m willing to accept the responsibility and everything that comes with that.

I think it also depends on things like where you live, life goals, etc.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a valid reason to differentiate between renting and buying. Section 21 is another good reason.

True, there is a general trend. But our times are, monetarily, rather exceptional. And market timing, at least for a first time buyer, is a significant factor because they are more exposed to a potential negative equity situation.

I am currently starting the save for a house deposit and I canā€™t recommend the lifetime ISA enough. 25% extra a year! Plus I have a stocks and shares one so hopefully that will earn more interest than if I just left it in a cash isa (I am aware it is riskier)

2 Likes

The issue is there is no evidence at all that the dominant factor has been near-zero rates. It seems flawed to say that a factor that has seemingly never impacted housing prices now is, whereas there are other constants that would unquestionably explain the increase in housing prices. Occamā€™s Razor would suggest youā€™re over-thinking the situation.

I understand what youā€™re saying, but youā€™re failing to take into account that even at low interest rates, young people cannot afford to get onto the housing ladder: https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/10505 Now, you may say ā€œtherefore theyā€™ll be an excess in homes and prices will dropā€. But no, that wonā€™t happen. Why? Because the opportunity to invest in a second property and rent it is too good to ignore for many: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/18/one-ten-british-adults-now-second-home-owner/ Even with higher interest rates, remortgaging a house or increasing rent would be used to offset any issues.

And the paper I linked you was used for that Bloomberg articleā€¦It actually shows that the housing glut is past itā€™s peak, and beyond that with the average price per foot of the properties being >Ā£1,000 (average is Ā£200), then the properties are hardly indicative of normal housing.

Iā€™m relatively young and am now starting to save away for a house-deposit (using a mix of both a fairly decent interest rate on a current account and the LISA (Stocks&Shares).

For me, I have rented since leaving home for University and the last two years whilst I have been working, and personally for me, buying a house just seems to be the better option. I can see the positives to renting - short commitment/ lack of depreciation or the need to pay for repairs.

But for me the actual tangible ā€œowningā€ of the house means more, being able to do with the property what you want and at the end of the mortgage actually owning the house that you have built and been paying for, for the last X amount of years. I also feel like in a way renting is only helping someone else make money/ pay off their mortgage for that property so why would you want to do that when you ā€˜couldā€™ own your own.

2 Likes

My ex and I bought a flat just over two years ago.

She broke up with me about 5/6 months ago and weā€™re splitting it/selling as I canā€™t afford to buy her portion out. I should come out of it with a fair deposit for my own flatā€¦ but I donā€™t know if Iā€™m going to immediately buy again, too early to start looking now to be honest.

Looking back at it, I think I wish I was still renting purely so I could just kick her out and not have her in my life anymore, but I know Iā€™m obviously skewed by the fact this breakup has gotten pretty toxic and sharing the flat still is a bit of a nightmare when youā€™re trying to move on.

I donā€™t think society is really built for the way Iā€™m going down the ladder, youā€™re always meant to go up. I know I cannot gain from the first time buyer incentives now (no stamp duty, LISA, help to buy etc), but then again, didnā€™t use any of those to buy beforeā€¦

1 Like

How did you save for your orignal deposit?
I hope it all works out for you in the end

Working since 17 in tech, so fairly well paid relatively to my rent at the time. Split deposit with my ex, but should come out of selling this one with enough for my own place, which would be nice.

Having said that, best tip for me was moving all my money into pots the day I got paid (been doing this for years, way before Monzoā€™s idea of pots) and it worked very well for me to see consistently that money increase on a monthly basis.

Totally agree with you here @moneypenny! If I try to push frugality too far, it makes the whole thing unpleasant and unsustainable. I try to focus on ā€œrelatively affordableā€ luxuries ā€“ buying groceries for a nice meal, for example, instead of eating a mediocre meal out. I havenā€™t been very good at cooking for myself recently though! Your meal list is very impressive :heart_eyes:

This is also a really great idea that Iā€™ll try out in future!

Saving for a house was a major factor of why I took the decision to move back in with my parents 6 months ago. Iā€™m saving 4x as much now as I was previously.

I was lucky, as I found myself in a very fortunate situation where I got a job where I can work from home.

If only more employers offered remote work, then people could afford to move and rent somewhere cheaper instead and help them save a lot more.

6 Likes

Alternative take: I love being a homeowner, and having full say of what I do in and out of the flat. I also love where Iā€™m located, surrounded by greenery and with all of my friends and support network nearby. Renting cost me more every month, and was just putting money into someone elseā€™s pocket. I donā€™t feel tied-down or locked in debt, but individual perception varies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any tips for saving?

Honestly, the biggest tip I can give you has nothing to do with cutting spending. Focus on earning more! Start a side hustle, work towards a promotion/pay rise. No one seems to talk about this but itā€™ll help you far more, itā€™ll even help you get a bigger mortgage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What was your side hustle?

Great advice!

I build websites and do photography for e-commerce :slight_smile:

If you live in a flat then itā€™s probably leasehold, so you donā€™t own it, youā€™ve only paid for the right to live in it until the lease expires.

Itā€™s still better than private renting though, because you do end up with a lease that you can sell on, you can decorate to your heartā€™s content, and nobody else has keys and can come into your home anytime they feel like it.

Reading this it appeared to me that landlords are twats, Iā€™m a landlord of 5 houses where I live, I have to say that I always do my very best to ensure that my houses are in tip top condition, donā€™t get me wrong none of them are penthouse dream houses but for the most part they are great, all my tenant have my private number and can call me 24/7 and I will respond instantly. Iā€™ve been on holiday in the states and had to arrange for a cooker element to be replaced, the part had to be ordered in but she was without her cooker for 2-3 days, if it was my own cooker at home I would have been in exactly the same boat or probably even longer without a cooker.

Anyways as a landlord I do find it a struggle to make any really money out of it, in fact just the other day on this very community I advised a young lad to not bother becoming a landlord as the reward is minimal and the heartache is ongoing, mostly from our friends at legislation central who are always coming up with dumb ass ways of costing us money in the form of some new pointless legislation or cutting our tax allowanxes back, unfortunately they donā€™t seem to understand that all these cost have got to be paid by someone and ultimately by the end user, I genuinely absorb as many of these cost myself as I have a great bunch of tenants and would rather have that than a constant stream of tenants coming and going, my agents write and tell me its time for the rent increase letters and I say no, leave it as it is which obviously doesnā€™t please the agents as they work on a commission basis so its only in their interest to whack it up.

So anyway, not all of us are twats, some of us try really hard. I even buy my tenants and their kids xmas presents.

There really is not a right approach to this, some people just like the freedom of not having their anchor set in concrete while others just want to be rooted like a tree.

Good luck to all you buyers and renters. :slight_smile:

3 Likes