Discuss all about Going Cashless

This year I noticed poppy appeal sellers had contactless payment available which made it super easy to donate and actually I donated way more than I normally do when all I have is spare change.

3 Likes

Reminds me of this(first 5 seconds)

1 Like

I hate that my barber doesn’t accept card. I think it’s one of the few things I still need to withdraw cash for. Even the beggars in China had WeChat QR codes when I last visited :joy:

2 Likes

Never use cash. Working with the public, it continues to surprise me how many people do. Can see no valid reason to, except perhaps for budgeting when you’re on an extremely low disposable income (in which case, you wouldn’t be buying where I’m working).

1 Like

I never use cash I just use cards and will occasionally take money from cash point if I need it.

I love this thread because the vision of a cashless society is very important to me, especially now I’m using Monzo, which doesn’t allow me to split out my ATM withdrawal transactions into different categories with different hashtags for each ‘sub-transaction’.

I’m currently in a phase where I’m trying to micromanage and account for every single spend; even though I don’t need to do it, I just find it really cool to finally understand exactly where all of my money is going, considering I didn’t really budget or know where it was going for many years and I didn’t save much :sweat_smile:

In that vain and due to my hatred of having to carry a physical wallet when my phone has the capability to cater to all use cases of a physical wallet, I’m currently boycotting all places that don’t take card payments, including pubs that don’t take card payments for less than £5.

For example, I’ve started going to a hairdresser that charges a little bit more, just so I can see exactly how much I’m spending on haircuts every month/year (considering for a £11.95 haircut I’d have to get £20 out and there would be no easy way—that’s searchable for future analysis—in Monzo to specify that £11.95 of that £20 ATM transaction was a haircut.

It gets a little bit tricky when a group I meet with or friends I go out with like to go to a pub that doesn’t take cards for less than £5, but I’m tempted to just have tap water in those places rather than a beer, citing to them their lack of support for my preferred method of payment.

I had to cave the other day though because a restaurant in my city was only taking cash due to a problem with their card payment system, and I was on a first date; trying to explain to the person just why I prefer to go somewhere that accepts card (e.g. so I can categorise the transaction and tag it as #date) probably wouldn’t have left a great first impression :sweat_smile:

It helps that all busses in my city now accept card payments/Apple Pay.

Following this approach to payment has allowed me to keep my physical Monzo card in the bag I have on me and not have to have a physical wallet taking up space in my pocket. Hopefully one day I won’t even need to carry the physical card on me at all.

Now, as soon as DVLA release the Apple Wallet support they’re working on, I won’t need a physical wallet at all!

8 Likes

Hey, you never know. If you come clean about it then you might just find the other person likes nothing more than to have a glass of wine at the end of the day and micromanage their finances too!

4 Likes

Personally, I’m the same. I live cashless and simply don’t use product or service providers that don’t accept card.

It really isn’t that difficult to set up card machines. There is no reason for any business to still require cash payment.

I’ve been cashless for a long time.

My husband still uses cash quite a lot, but his tend to be £10-20 withdrawals at a time. At work. I see people with wallets full of money and can only assume dodgy business is going on. :thinking:

5 Likes

Some people just like to have cash on them. From what I can tell it’s reassuring that they have cash incase anything pops up. I love going cashless, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Some folks like Vinyl, some like a real book. It seems some like cash.

I completely agree with @Cheryl

I am very happy being cashless, it saves time and money for me personally. If I use cash I end just putting the change into a pot and the idea of going through the hassle of getting it changed up is not good!

I have just seen that Virgin Active in London have gone cashless, although not sure if all branches have.

When I was in America last year, there were a lot of small coffee shops that refused cash which I think is for the best, no waiting for someone to dig out the correct change. :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone know the reason why some places have a minimum spend? I have seen a lot of places slowly phase it out but pubs seem to be unable to drop it.

I’m guessing they think the charge for the transaction isn’t worth it? The Cafe in my work doesn’t take card for less than £3. Annoying, but I’m guessing what they get charged by the banks for processing it eats up the profit for those low transactions.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking but surely all transactions are charged at a percentage so small transactions would nominal fee?

I know the likes of iZettle have a flat fee of 1.75% for all transactions.

A lot of processors still charge a fixed amount plus percentage.

I was assuming there was a baseline charge, but I have no idea.

I’m 99% cashless. Unfortunately I still carry a handful of change when I’m working, just so I can grab a :coffee:️ from the machine. :unamused:

1 Like

I’ve been cashless for the best part of 9 years. When I was 13, I had a children’s bank account because I always found myself being really clumsy with loose change. For example, if I had a £10 note and went to buy some food for £6, I almost always left the remaining £4 in my jeans and lost it to the abyss.

Cashless = less ability to be clumsy

1 Like

I class myself as cashless. I only keep a few £ in change for car parks and tend to save any change up I have to put back into the bank. I only take cash out if I know I’m somewhere that doesn’t accept it and I only take enough to cover the transaction.

I never use to be quite as cashless though. A number of years back I fell asleep on the train, when I woke up my wallet was gone from my bag, either that or I dropped it somewhere, anyway I never found it. There was €200 in there as I’d just landed back in the uk and was on my way home. Since that I cut cash out.

My farther works for a company full time that employees around 1000 people directly, him along with a few others still get paid weekly in cash :nauseated_face:. He prefers it this way.

1 Like

Yeah, I always get very nervous when I have more than a few quid in cash with me. A short while ago I received a pretty large cash gift, and for various reasons I couldn’t pay it into my account right away. I really didn’t like knowing there was such a large amount of cash in my drawers, and I was very nervous all the way to the bank.

I would hate it, if I was paid in cash!

1 Like

That’s it, for some people cash is just easier and it just works. For me, I’d rather carry as few things as possible and cash is a pain in the :peach: when it comes to carrying the change. I’m sure I spend more money when I use cash too. :thinking:

1 Like