Discuss all about Going Cashless

With some smaller businesses like small holdings most there sales are at the cattle market where bank transfer would be accepted altho a lot of transactions are still in cash. But the odd local buying a few eggs of some meat is just easier to do in cash as the amounts are so small and also not always regular

I’ve just come back from Austria and 8 out of 12 transactions were made using Apple Pay. I felt more comfortable using it now than I did two years ago since it’s officially launched over there. I had to visit an ATM twice because the Wurstelstands are mostly cash only and a café which I’m sure had the Apple Pay logo on their maps entry, only to find they were cash only.

There is also a coffee shop in my city who is soon going cashless as they’ve constantly been broken into. A lot of people have been grumbling about it, but I feel it’s a good step for them to take to protect their business!

1 Like

However, from the same article:

Today MPs and campaigners are calling for Phillip Hammond to take measures to ensure consumers can continue to pay for goods and services with cash, alongside cards and contactless forms of payment.
Nicky Morgan MP, chairman of the Treasury Committee, warned that by refusing coins and notes shops and services would cause the “death of cash”.
She said: “The recently-published Access to Cash Review concluded that a stark decline in cash acceptance, whether by a local coffee shop or a large utility provider, rather than cash access, will be what drives the death of cash in the UK if left unaddressed.”
“A key conclusion of our report, which was published earlier this month, is that consumers must continue to have the freedom to pay for goods and services in whichever they choose.”
A law to stop shops and services refusing cash payments has already been introduced in Scandinavian countries where cash use has declined even faster than in the UK.
Andrew Cregan, payments policy advisor at the British Retail Consortium, said: “Cash accounts for more than 40 per cent of retail transactions in the UK and is particularly important to many vulnerable people.

Cash shouldn’t disappear, theres people out there eg elderly, maybe those on benefits, people on low incomes who use cash as they feel safe or are sticking to a budget.

I can’t see it disappearing myself.

2 Likes

I also like cash for the simple fact that when I travel to different countries I like to keep a coin and a note of their currency as a little reminder I’ve done this since I was a kid.

2 Likes

I wish I’d done that.

1 Like

Just something I started as a kid mainly because we didn’t get away much so it was really special. Then in the job I do now I travel a lot and go to some more obscure countries so it’s a nice reminder and maybe in a few years it will all be worth a few quid too

3 Likes

I just recently sold an old car of mine and took the proceeds from the buyer in cash. It was the first time for a long time as far as I can remember I’ve actually had that much physical cash. Now we are talking £600 here, not some astronomical amount, but it actually made me nervous keeping it in the house let alone on my person! It was a very unusual experience for me.

2 Likes

I know what you mean I sold a car recently and got cash it was a few grand I was petrified of carrying it about.
It reminded me of being younger though and I got cash paid at the end of each month I used to walk to town with over a grand in my packet and pop it into the bank without even batting an eyelid.

1 Like

I’m cashless most of the time these days so easy zapping my card or iphone wherever I go, do get problems though like a recent visit to the fun fare with the kids where it was cash only and no cash machines nearby

This is quite normal (for me at least) - even when I used to work at a restaurant we would have to get a manager to accept £50 notes.

For £50 notes, I think they are the least “secure” form of UK physical currency and so why some businesses are hesitant to accept them.

1 Like

Yeah same for me too.

When I got a part time summer job in a supermarket, £50 notes had to be checked and authorised by a supervisor too.

They actually have more advanced security features than the £20 note , but as they are much less common, most cashiers wouldn’t notice if something is slightly off, plus you have a much bigger loss if they take a fake £50

3 Likes

Ah my mistake then! I just thought because like you say they are so under-used that it was because they were “weak” and hence some places didn’t take them.

I do find it weird we have a note that is rarely used (and rarely accepted) that is still in circulation!

You can order free bank of England training material online, they send a decent amount and it’s useful in training a new cashier on what to look for, you can also get some ‘we check banknotes’ stickers also.

https://secure.granbymarketing.com/BoE

There’s also a 30 minute online training course on the BoE site.

1 Like

This is a brilliant resource, thanks for sharing! I’m putting together some staff training at the moment so just ordered some of the materials. :pound:

1 Like

Try to stay cashless as much as possible as it’s just easier for me and also less to worry about/carry around.

I recently went on holiday to New Zealand and didn’t even get any money exchanged and used my Monzo the whole time.

So yea cashless :man_shrugging:t2::tipping_hand_man:t2::joy:

3 Likes

Tend to carry emergency cash now. We got stuck last time visiting Derbyshire stepping stones. Lovely day - ice cream and coffee stalls there but no internet or phone signal. No card payments anywhere.
Cash only almost everywhere!! Son was very upset he couldn’t get an ice cream. We sneaked our car in a field as we didn’t have coins for the parking either.

1 Like

Tend to be cashless, except when i need to go get my haircut or get my car washed!

It’s so nice being able to go out with just my Apple Watch knowing I can use my Monzo with Apple Pay on it in 99% of shops.