Discuss all about Going Cashless

I wouldn’t know what they charge for that, as I’m secure enough not to mind a different hair style.

High and tight then. Point is that’s a lot of money!

Full disclosure, i’m balding.

2 Likes

Girl comes to the house, cut and blow dry for me and 2 kids - £20.

The only time I begrudginngly get cash out is when im visiting my parents in the country side where hardly anywhere accepts cards. In the city it’s card/mobile everywhere.

If im on a night out I’ll get £10 incase the taxi can’t take card and however much I require for the entry fee.

My barbers takes card.

I always carry cash, in UK 20-30 GBP, when I travel a little bit more as there are still places that won’t accept cards. Never use phone to pay so in case something happens to the cards I need backup, and to be honest I don’t mind the cash

Sadly I think it’s because customers of barbers and some hairdressers are so used to having to get cash out for a haircut, the demand isn’t there for the establishments to offer card payments (which benefits the businesses because they don’t have to pay a small fee per transaction). One reason I have this theory is because of how many people I still see fiddling about with cash at the barbers I go to that accepts card.

For that reason, I’ve started boycotting barbers that don’t take card—and I make a point of letting them know that’s why I’m not giving them my custom.

1 Like

I wonder how many barbers know that you can add “gratuity” on a card machine too…

I always have it in the back of my mind that they’re scared of losing tips if it’s not cash only!

2 Likes

I’ve tried to go cashless since Jan and it’s gone quite well. I’m a student based on a campus and hospital so card machines / contactless is everywhere, and I have a bus pass for travel (although contactless is now a thing) and I use uber for all taxi needs.

The only issues I’ve had is at a barber shop and when I was travelling in Germany (apparently they prefer Maestro instead of Mastercard over there :man_shrugging:)

1 Like

I pay for my haircut using applepay but still have to give the tip in cash!

1 Like

“ApplePay”.

You have to rub it in don’t you…

2 Likes

I’m a bit of a heretic - everything goes through my costco amex unless it isn’t accepted. 1,2 or 3% back as cashback doncha know.

Santander for utilities etc for additional cashback.

What’s left goes through monzo.

3 Likes

I rarely use cash now. Only when I have to.

I’ve no issue with going cashless - I actually saw a Vodafone store in Greenwich which has a sign up saying they are now a cashless store (a first for me).

If Putin invades well… I think I’ll have bigger issues than being able to get on the bus :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

An invasion might not begin with troops coming across the channel. It might start with a cyber attack which cripples the banking ATM network, causing social instability.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much cashless … :slight_smile:

I only really take out cash these days if I a. Going to a shop that I know does not accept cards. I know if I have cash in my pocket I will spend it.

3 Likes

I think it’s always good to have cash in your wallet. The thing with contactless, you can go a bit mad. For me, a £10 keeps it real.

I live mostly cashless! :credit_card:(For the good and the bad).

On my last trip into Europe I withdrew €20 cash in 1 week! :euro:

The Good

• I haven’t had a pile of change I end up leaving or carrying with me indefinitely. :moneybag:
  • I have a very clear list of transactions and don’t worry about losing cash. :money_with_wings:

The Bad

• Most shops have had a minimum of €5 to spend on card!

My standard day to day life at home I only ever withdraw cash for the hairdressers and rare times I have to get into a Black cab, and that’s no more than 2 or 3 times a month.

I do think there are far too many varying scenarios and situations cash is needed for people to go completely cashless but with the introduction of simple POS systems like PayPal Here, even popup streetfood eateries are beginning to accept card payments.

2 Likes

Here’s another activity we soon won’t need cash for.

2 Likes

That is actually brilliant. I often don’t donate anything because I don’t have cash and don’t want the hassle of dealing with it. Using contactless solves that nicely.

3 Likes

I’ve just withdrawn £30 from the ATM (the last time I had to withdraw money was the start of February and that was to pay a tradesperson) and that’s only because I need change for parking on Tuesday (the car park I need to use only accepts cash :frowning: ).