How do you “sell” Monzo to your friends?

Only in the offices and given to coral crew. Even I don’t have one anymore :sob:

2 Likes

Anymore? Were you stripped of it at some sort of ceremony? Like being cashiered?

7 Likes

Monzo snob. I like it!

2 Likes

I only used them in the office. I think it would be stealing if I took one home lol.

1 Like

Hi Mike

Happy to answer some of these. My role at Monzo is to help scale the teams capacity to do “paid” marketing. I am tasked/ accountable with growing the team and ramping (cost effective) spends.

The team on the paid side is still small but we have some amazing talent joining over the next few weeks. In terms of team structure. Small, flat hierarchy. Marketing and community is one and the same team which will be useful as we onboard new advertising talent, making sure they are immersed in the brand/culture.

The success metric i/ we will be focused on growing our current account signups rather than softer metrics and I would probably expect our media strategy and our creative execution to largely reflect this - but it is early days. I don’t want to pre-empt what will be a collaborative effort between existing team members that have “lived” the brand, new joiners that will have extensive advertising experience, and feedback from this community.

Like I mentioned earlier on this thread, while we will be “response” focused in our creative… I will be personally disappointed if it is a purely functional/transactional message and we don’t properly get across to the outside world how different this organisation actually is on the inside.

In terms of media mix… we currently do very modest levels of digital spend, mostly Facebook and have dabbled in tube car panels. Obviously this mix is set to broaden. I’m totally digging the whole Monzo transparency but maybe providing ratios is a bit work intensive for me at the moment:-)

Looking forward to this challenge, and really appreciate support, feedback and understanding as we move into what is a new phase for us.

We will keep everyone updated as much as we possibly can.

Cheers,

Angus

16 Likes

For me, I think we should avoid comparing ourselves to anyone or “bad mouthing” anyone (I’m sure we won’t anyway) - instead just say what Monzo is, see all the above, and let the customer do the mental comparison for themselves.

6 Likes

One further question is, are you looking to geographically target specific areas or are you looking to remain focussing on London?

1 Like

I hope they move out of the city - it’s surprising how many of their features appeal to those living more rural communities.

May be some different things in London but vast bulk of activity will be proportionally distributed nationwide. Inclusivity is a core value at Monzo.

10 Likes

Just by sharing in SM

To be honest, it’s quite a hard sell at the moment. When I tell people you can’t deposit cheques and you have to pay to deposit cash into your account they usually ask what’s the point. Legacy banks have or are introducing most of the new features (manually freeze your card, instant notifications, etc).

You need to concentrate of the things Monzo does that the high street banks don’t do. Fee free transactions abroad, lots of banks offer cards and accounts that do that. Monzo may offer a better rate, but that’s not something that most people would care about.

Instant notifications is a good one and I find people like that aspect of the new banks.

1 Like

That’s not really true. The process isn’t all that great right now, but you can deposit cheques

3 Likes

This is something Tom often reiterates :ok_hand:

For example when TSB had their troubles, we get it, we want to empathise with the competition so we’re all the best we can be.

Monzo should be able to (and in my opinion can) sell itself on what it does well, not what someone else has done wrong.

8 Likes

Also, I’ve noticed our community says “we” when we’re talking about how we should advertise :heart_eyes:

No one is really saying “you”, your bank is a massive part of your life. It’s not us vs them with Monzo as your bank. We’re all on the same side :raised_hands:

12 Likes

Which legacy bank has instant notifications?

1 Like

@AngusLovitt The way (I think) we all sell Monzo to our friends and family (is yes through showing them the app and explaining how the bank has helped them) however deep down, Monzo users are passionate about their bank! I doubt you would find many other High Street banking customers that would say they love their bank or it had really changed their life! I think that should be the focus of your campaign, let your users tell the story! If you had real users on TV (as part of an advert) explaining how Monzo had helped them change (e.g. Gambling Block) or allowed them to take control of their money and have the holiday of their dreams, I think that would be something I could personally resonate with and possibly other people too?

4 Likes

Hi Robbie thanks for taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback. You’ve touched on a lot of things in there. The community angle, the ethical angle, the personal control angle. All of which are definitely on the table.

3 Likes

Best value for international transactions. And frictionless / fun application process.

• Original & fun messaging
  • Frequent (but not annoying) communication
  • Instant updates of balances, including currency conversion amounts
  • Using abroad
  • Immediate notifications
  • Pots
  • Split the bill