Home Automation/Networking

This is actually a good deal

And then there is this

Can’t even convert mine as I’m an new build and they use a G24 adapter which can’t be converted with out getting a sparky involved to bypass the ballast.
No smart bulbs for me :frowning:

What the hell, what a crappy connection, why do that??! lol

Also just DIY, I am :man_cartwheeling:

Don’t worry though you can just do this

I had a look at those. You still need to bypass the ballast because of the current. Has a chance of starting a fire! :fire: :fire_engine:

I’m guessing your lights are in the ceiling and not drop lights?

Drop lights. But the ballast is in the ceiling.

I’ve got to say the Nest purchase seems on the face of it very worthwhile. Thanks for everyone’s advise.

Buying an Echo Dot at the same time, has meant I’ve spent much longer talking to my heating than any person should! :roll_eyes:

I think the ikea Tadfri have GU10 smart bulbs

Though what are all your thoughts on smart bulbs vs smart switches? I am really thinking the first step would be a smart switch. As a smart bulb becomes dumb the second you turn it off by a switch?

• Smart bulb
  • Smart switch

0 voters

The switch stays on though and the bulbs themselves turn off.

1 Like

I’m kicking myself for considering, and not taking advantage of, the Philips Hue colour starter pack on Amazon on Black Friday.

Today I went to Maplin and bought a white starter kit for £50. It’s brilliant.

Amazon still have some offers, so I’ll get an order in today.

Why has it taken me so long to, erm, see the light? :thinking: now I want to change all the bulbs in the house (can’t afford it in one go) but it’s so easy to set up and use. It’s illuminating.

I’m forever asking the missus and the kids to turn off the lights. I shall demand they buy me more bulbs for Christmas, then I can ensure the lights are extinguished. :laughing:

1 Like

Replace switches with blanking plate and add these

Thought it was £50?

It was 10% (of ‘qualifying purchases’) up to a maximum of £25, I think? :thinking:

Also like the idea of these

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/products/smart-living/smart-door-locks/

I went for this one:

Bulb on its own is £12.49
Switch on its own is £19.99

Together like this is £24.99

Decent, why are you not going for the color bulbs though?

I thought all over the weekend about this. Do I really need colour bulbs? I’ve managed this long without them and do I really want to make my lounge look like a seedy quarter of Amsterdam?

The colour ones are very expensive compared to the white ones that are just expensive.

My desire is to automate the lighting more than it is to have it in different colours.

I just wanna do this

:joy_cat:

1 Like

Yes, please :+1: :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like