Home Automation/Networking

I think it was because all the info was in my old phone and it might have got stuck but yeah got home the other day tried it and it worked so all good now.

Yes I have the Nest thermostat. I’m in a one bed apartment on my own and wanted to automate the nuts off of everything :crazy_face:
*I can command Alexa to adjust the temperature for me
*Similarly can use the app on my phone to do that
*Comes in handy on a cold winter night when I want to put the heating on but am too lazy to get out of bed to walk to the lounge to do it
*I like the graphs and charts which allow you to see how much heating you’ve had on over time
*It tries to learn when you like to have the heating on and remember the pattern for it
*it knows when you are home and when you are out - therefore knows whether to put the heating on or not

I like the fact that there are no subscription charges. I’m sure it’s helped me to be more aware of the energy consumption and also helped me to save some money along the way. I can’t compare it to anything else as this is the first year of usage as a home owner. Previously was living with other people in a bigger place and we just split the bill.

1 Like

So my ‘smart’ home has got a little bit more smart as far as I’m aware.

I have four Sonos Play:1’s (One in kitchen, stereo pair in the lounge, one in the bedroom)
Three Hue bulbs (two in lounge, one in bedroom)
Echo Dot which I got cheap being a Sonos customer.
Two next protects

Thinking of getting another Sonos, but the new Sonos One for the gym… and I need some more Hue bulbs for a few different things.

Thank you @TonyHoyle, @Feathers & @moneypenny - all confirmed what I’ve researched. Good to have your thoughts. It’s pretty much swayed me into getting one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anytime, £70 off isn’t too bad at all. I paid a little extra for my unit (to include the Nest installation). Booking the engineer was extremely simple via this method. However if you know what you are doing by all means for it yourself, but just be careful! :star_struck:

@HoddzDJ I bought a Philips Hue motion sensor for my corridor/hallway and absolutely love it!

1 Like

I have two as my house has two physical zones and I think they are great. I’m not sure the ‘it supports zones’ is really correct as I had to duplicate the thermostat and the receiver. The app allows for multiple nests yes but there are other systems available where you control virtual zones via smart TRVs. This is a great concept and I do wish Nest implemented or offered something similar.

Ultimately even without zones I really like Nest (I also use it through HomeKit via homebridge?). But you can only use nest for zones if your heating is physically set up in zones. Hope that helps. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I bit the bullet and bought one last night. Even with Prime “1 day delivery” I guess Amazon is feeling the Black Friday pressure as it’s not due for delivery until Monday.

Currently, I’ll not have the need for zones - zoning a two bed flat would be over the top (but still pretty cool). I’m excited about the opportunity for expanding the automation and other IoT devices.

One point I’ve been mulling over is network isolation of smart devices: is a separate VLAN overkill?

1 Like

So far it is not something I have considered as I believe you would then need to be on the same network to communicate with them?

Ideally I would like my devices behind the security of HomeKit but for the Nest I am doing this via a hack so already a potential risk there.

One for me to consider in future for sure.

Really am hovering over the buy button on this

1 Like

That is a steal. Buy it!!! What are you waiting for!?! :crazy_face:

I DID I DID!!! :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Anyone wanna buy a new unused Philips Hue Bridge 2.0, I have one I don’t need, you can have it from the 28th onwards :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Roffle :slight_smile:

You will have to share images of the coloured lights! Disco at Danny’s everyone!

I’m kicking myself now. I was considering it.

John Lewis currently has a deal on 3x two-packs of colour/white bulbs for price of two packs. (6 bulbs for price of 4)

https://m.johnlewis.com/3x-philips-hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-wireless-lighting-led-colour-changing-light-bulb-9w-a60-e27-edison-screw-bulb-pack-of-2/p237256704

1 Like

Have you got the screw in bulbs though?

Also I think the Richer Colors is the latest one AND don’t forget Cyber Monday (whatever that is).

Yep. E27 bulbs.

I’m waiting for tomorrow to see what happens.

Just looking at that deal and although it is good you’ll need a hub to make it work.

Yeah, I’ll get a starter kit

I still need to convert my lights from a GU10 connection to a B22 coz stupid construction company