Home Automation/Networking

@anon72173902 excellent tip!

Amazon, Black Friday week or Prime Day. Those are the two major sales of Philips Hue hardware. Normally the good discounts are on the starter kits and the light strips. Occasionally bulbs will get discounted too but it’s normally unadvertised.

1 Like

When ever I have looked the price is always the same :pensive:

Do you know about camelcamelcamel?

3 Likes

I’d forgotten about that site… Thanks :slight_smile:

The hue colour starter kit is on sale for the next 12 hours! [NOW ENDED] £119 instead of £149 - hope nobody minds the link… (camelcamelcamel sent me the notification and I’ve bought the kit thanks to the recommendations on this chat) edited to add: according to camel3 this is the lowest price it has been since it was introduced

3 Likes

I’d be all over this but I need GU10 bulbs as the people that built my place decided that would be the standard :confused:

I feel your pain!

Thank you very much for this. Have purchased!

1 Like

Pretty interesting

I can kind of relate to your pain. Bought a BC to ES adaptor so that I could fit a ES Hue bulb in my bedroom ceiling. It took 3 weeks for it to arrive from abroad (I made a mistake when ordering, thinking it was UK based). After much excitement at its arrival, upon fitting I realised that the ceiling socket is for a 3 pin bulb. I have never before even heard of a 3 pin bulb in my life!!! :pensive:

1 Like

As promised, ‘spaghetti junction’ :grin:

Not that bad tbh but two questions…

Why are the plugs directly behind the TV and not on the floor?

Why is the router directly behind the TV, doesn’t that hinder the wifi?

1 Like

I was working at a house the other day with three pin bulb fittings, first I had seen them.

I would change the fittings if I was you, easy enough for a DIYer to do, as long as the electric circuit is off at the fuse box. (Also, it is 100% legal to do it yourself, you don’t have to get an electrician in to do it.)

1 Like

Well you learn something new everyday.

“In the UK new houses/flats must, by law, have a number of light fittings which will ‘not accept incandescent filament bulbs’ (a ‘green’ idea). This has led to the development of a proprietary, arbitrary format of compact fluorescent bulb, the BC3, which costs a lot more than standard compact fluorescents, is difficult to obtain, and about which the public generally doesn’t know much (yet). If you’re so minded, it’s not hard to modify the fitting and save money.”

From: http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/2008/07/21/how-to-fit-a-normal-bulb-in-a-bc3-fitting/

1 Like

Bulbtastic :eyes:

1 Like

The question is though, do you even home network if you’re not running Tomato firmware or another custom f/w on your router? :smirk: :slight_smile:

You can’t custom Sky Hub though :frowning:

Got two of them here, new build, apparently it’s the buiding regs. Have to have minimum of two.

Any builders on here to confirm?

Ah, just seen the reply from @tomsr

1 Like

Nor a Virgin superhub. I just put mine into modem mode and connected it to a router that’s customised. The QoS rules and managing multiple networks through it is in my view totally worth the additional piece of kit.

Not to mention the almost unlimited geekery that’s available with the wealth of additional features. :sunglasses: