Home Automation/Networking

OK, I’m interested now :grin:

I can’t wait for a time where voice commands are instant, and easier than physically doing whatever it is you want to do.

It would also be great to not have to “Hey Siri” or “Alexa” before performing an action - Although not sure how they’d be able to distinguish conversation from commands!

1 Like

I definitely prefer saying ‘Aexa’ to ‘OK Google’, the latter feels a bit like they are programming me to believe google is the oracle…

1 Like

Ok, Slartibartfast …

1 Like

Are you suggesting they aren’t? :joy:

1 Like

You can set a wake word for your echo devices, you can use anything I believe.

You can choose a wake word from a short menu (Alexa, Amazon, Echo, or Computer).

1 Like

Oh. Never explored further because the kids already knew it as Alexa.

Guys, just got myself a Nest Cam, wondered if anyone has a lag between an activity and when you get the notification?

Anybody using Homebridge with a Raspberry Pi? Thoughts if so? :eyes:

How are you getting on with it now? I’ve not noticed a lag - however I only have it switched on when I’m out of the house!

I haven’t used the notifications too much as I’m using my Nest as a baby cam

Amazon have just launched blueprints for Alexa

https://blueprints.amazon.com/home

It’s US English at the moment so you will ave to change settings

yep using it to integrate TP link lamps & Fibaro z wave dimmers through a Vera Edge. Siri voice commands work well on both and allow it to link into Simple Control also for the rest of my setup!

1 Like

Got this little beauty to replace my MR18 today, the Meraki MR33

IMG_2412

2 Likes

Was it free from watching a webinar?

An MS220-8P arrived in the post last week :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I had the MR12 well before Cisco got them then moved to the MR18 but that went faulty so they sent me that instead.

I was looking at the switch the other week but someone has already claimed it in my office :rage:

I am gonna try one of our other VAT numbers lol

Not a bad replacement then.

Makes me wish I had one for home, the fan in my POE at home is noisy as hell. When it’s sleepy time I have to turn off half the wifi points and my desk phone. I might try and blag the switch the MS220 is replacing though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just saw the price of that :anguished:

Cannot get a WiFi signal good enough to stream files from my Plex server to my bedroom TV. Daydreaming of ethernet in the walls