Help - I followed an advert

It’s believable… It’s possible to be fooled into doing all sorts of things… the human is always the weak point in security.

1 Like

it was a advert I had to send a photo of my passport and a video of me saying I want a monzo account my name is josh smith and a video of me saying my name and just a video of me saying yes. after this I received a card in the post and a email confirming I’ve been accepted but I got a message saying the card wasn’t been made correctly and I have to send it to a address in Birmingham

1 Like

I only said, a bit. I have my own story to share once the police investigation is over

Did similar happen to you? Scammers are awful this day and age

you sent a random guy your passport? Oh dear

Where did you see the advert? What address did you send it to in Birmingham?

All this information will help.

Assuming you didn’t add any money to the account, chances are you haven’t lost any money - your account instead will be used for fraud. This means that you will have a fraud marker against your name - CIFAS is what you need to look into.

Contact Monzo & try your best to get them to close that account for you.

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

at least now we know why all those people suddenly “move house” days after signing up

8 Likes

Ex-“girlfriend”, fake pregnancy. had me pay for an “abortion”, here we are 20k later. So, yes, it happens to anyone. She played on my fear

Sorry to here. I’ve been through toxic relationships myself and it’s absolutely awful.
I hope things work out for you and she gets what she deserves.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m sure i’ll share the full story, although that is the gist of it

That’s info for Monzo, not us

Don’t want to tip off the fraudster or they’ll quickly move any remaining money

Phone Monzo and speak to them for sure, they’ll have someone who can help you, along with helping you understand why this is bad.

You’ve mentioned learning difficulties, do you have a support worker? If so speak to them as they’ll be better resourced to help as they’ll understand your issues.

This is mind blowing. Good luck OP

2 Likes

I have a support worker and they said get onto the website as I only brought it up today they didn’t know I did it but shouted at me like I did something bad

im still on the phone it someone answered and told me to wait been on hold for 7 minutes haven’t asked for anything yet just me saying what happened but I couldn’t explain it all

1 Like

Great that you are speaking to someone at monzo, at a minimum they can do some damage control.

1 Like

Just be calm, talk it through with them & go from there. Do you remember the site that you put all your information in?

Yeah 1st step get that sorted, next step after that learning about these kind of scams so you don’t fall a victim again.

Good luck

They shouted but didn’t explain or contact the police? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You’ll be surprised they’re some bad care workers out there ( not saying OPs is bad but a good percentage of them doesn’t actually care which is sad )

1 Like

@JoshSmith1997 you never answered my question. Did you sent the random person your passport and these videos? You need to check your credit file this instant.

1 Like