Hello Monzo, TransferWise here! [Discussion]

are these common accounts shared by all your customers or individual accounts per customer? If the latter that is great as despite IBAN discrimination being banned across the SEPAzone it is still a common ocurrence in some countries such as France.

1 Like

Hey hey,

Our card is available for both Online and Offline transactions.

I believe the difference here is based on the fact that Revolut offers (or has in the past) a prepaid card whereas we offer a true debit card.

This means our card has all the functionality of any other MasterCard debit card.

4 Likes

Donā€™t you love it when a forum comes togetherā€¦

Great responses guys - Interested to hear your response to @anon44204028ā€™s question!

5 Likes

This is also one difference between TransferWise and Revolut. They offer a free service during the week but charge a fee on weekends.

We try to offer cheap, understandable and sustainable pricing that is always the same no matter when you use your card.

5 Likes

How does TransferWise compare to Azimo in your opinion?

1 Like

These are individual accounts, one per borderless customer.

The IBANā€™s are also based in Germany, so begin with DE and shouldnā€™t suffer from any discrimination (we have had problems in the past with our EE IBANā€™s not being accepted by some banks).

A thread at its best when thereā€™s a balance of opinion, experience and fact. Excellent :+1::grinning:

5 Likes

As a German that sentence makes me sad :frowning:

Personally, I have no experience with Azimo so I cannot accurately comment.

Although from my understanding, Azimo donā€™t offer you the true mid-market rate.

In theory any IBAN should work, but some people in France have reported issues with IT, DE, NL etc IBAN as some systems (even Government depts not just private companies!) only accept FR IBAN :frowning:

Dutch bank bunq and German emoney firm N26 will sometimes contact firms direct on behalf of their customers. Are TransferWise similarly willing to help resolve non-compliance issues, or do you prefer not to get involved?

4 Likes

We are always willing to help our customers make the financial industry fairer.
We have a team that works on helping get legislation in place to do this. For example: http://stophiddenfees.co.uk/ and Petition Ā· Stop companies using hidden fees to make unfair profits in foreign exchange Ā· Change.org.

If you have any idea about ways we can continue doing this, weā€™d love to hear them.

4 Likes

Thanks for your through replies to my questions

Iā€™ve just been reading this through and having both Revolut and TransferWise Debit Card (borderless) found it an absolute joy

Thankyou to everyone for participating here most informative

Just remains for me to start using the Green card and see how I get on

My question to TransferWise would be are you trying to encourage people to using your account as their main banking source or would you rather see your product as an additional travel companion

1 Like

Do you have any idea why Finsbury Park ticket machines refuse your card for contact transactions? If you want I can give this another try this evening.

@sheena @SamuelClennett
I can confirm that the TransferWise card still doesnā€™t work for contact transactions on Great Northern ticket machines at Finsbury Park:

IMG_20180307_195009

IMG_20180307_195010

It is worth noting that whilst contact, these cannot qualify as ā€˜chip and PINā€™ attempts as the machine never prompts for PIN entry. Furthermore, contactless works fine.

3 Likes

Hey hey,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Could you please email support@transferwise.com?
This way we will be able to investigate this transaction directly from our system and if necessary, we can escalate it to our partner for further investigation.

If possible, weā€™d like to keep all support queries to our regular support channels (because we have more information on your payments from an email and we donā€™t wanna be asking personal information here).

Thanks,

4 Likes

Oh I did that at the time, I was just curious what the reason/outcome was.

Hello TransferWise
Iā€™ve just tried logging into my transfer wise account to find that it no longer recognises my phone
An authentication code is apparently being sent but I havenā€™t received anything
Now tried the online account log in and that wonā€™t work either
Is TransferWise having some problems this evening which is not allowing me to log into my account

Hereā€™s how to submit support requests to TransferWise -

5 Likes

All Sorted now

2 Likes

It really depends on the use case of each customer.
We always do a lot of interviewing and surveying before building our products.

In this case, we realised one of the biggest solvable issues facing our customers was the difficulty in getting a bank account when moving to a new country.
For this, we built our Borderless account and if people find that this account fulfils their needs and they can use it for their everyday bank, all the better.

We also identified the need to have a clear, easily understood and cheap way to spend your money whilst travelling.

Accordingly, we built an account and card that can do both. Use it however you need it.

2 Likes