Guardian interview with Tom Blomfield (August 2019)

Looks like we’ll be being discussed on Newsnight! I think that’s a pretty solid, unexpected PR win :grinning:

8 Likes

Looks like I’ll be watching Newsnight tonight! Will be interesting to see how the discussion squares up. I know that I, for one, would appreciate the availability of such blocks.

1 Like

Update: Tom will be there too :grinning:

6 Likes

I for one would like to thank @danmullen for bringing this topic up, I’m sure newsnight saw this discussion here before deciding to talk about it. Thanks for the publicity and your unwavering support of Monzo, Dan.

Will be watching for the next half hour or so with interest!

8 Likes

Yes it’s great publicity for monzo :+1:

1 Like

I mean, if we’ve learned anything from recent press articles about us, then definitely! Who doesn’t love our forum and all the incredible folks here :hot_coral_heart:

8 Likes

Half a million customers?!

Yeah. Either a slip of the tongue or they are using some very out of date figures!

Watching it now and the financial journalist, after a good initial first impression, is how annoying me by banging on about young people this and young people that and young people the other, as if Monzo have no users out of their 20s :unamused:

2 Likes

Thought Tom came across well

I got the impression he was biting his tongue a little at times - some interesting questions

Great to see the gambling block taking the stage

Asking about Toms ‘sin list’:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Oh, definitely. I’m sure I detected a pregnant pause before he answered the opening blast that insanely referred back to letting customers user their overdraft to buy shares (I know I mentally thought “what? How is that relevant?!” myself)

6 Likes

Things move so quickly here that that whole topic feels like a million years ago!

5 Likes

I really wish he’d said something outrageous :grin:

1 Like

Great to see Tom channelling his inner-Jeremy Hunt with a Monzo lapel badge.

2 Likes

It’s a classic example of how a negative story, even if later retracted, can still have legs (no-one pays attention to the retractions).

Now I’ve finished watching the segment, my biggest question would be: what do I have to do to get my hands on a Hot Chip pin? :laughing:

5 Likes

I have vague memories of us making a whole bunch of them and they were going to be used for something and then whatever the something was didn’t happen and so there was just a free for all run on them in the London office. (Disclaimer - This may not have been what actually happened)

Not even the current office, the 230 City Road office, it was a while back. Which is a long way of saying, good luck! :joy: Even I don’t have one of those, and I have all sorts of random Monzo (and even old Mondo) swag from over the years.

This is the one we gave out recently at Investival.

3 Likes

Hahahaha :joy: Well, I know that’s a bit of a dig at me but it still made me laugh :clap:t2:

5 Likes

Honestly, half asleep when I read it. Took the article the wrong way

There is already a gambling block. I assume this would work the same way

Of course all users of monzo are in there 20s - some are just repeating it several times :joy:.

Seriously though is that not her sole focus?