Gotta catch 'em all — The Monzo Current Account Preview testing challenge 🏆

Received a debit card last night at the Android event, and was going to participate in this, but was disappointed to find out it’s not one of these 2nd gen cards. In case it is useful I tried lyft just now and registration worked fine with a 1st gen card including the active card check.

What’s the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen cards apart from the aesthetic changes?

The differences between the 1st & 2nd generation of cards are explained in Richard’s tweet, in this post :zap:

1 Like

Just tried to set up my o2 account direct debit. Failed it didn’t recognise Monzo Bank.

There have been a few posts saying it doesn’t work on the website but does over the chat or on the phone to customer services.

Oh will get that sorted today. Thanks for the info

I’ve nearly switched all my regular outgoings to my Monzo account now, apart from Thames Water. They wouldn’t accept online or over the phone.

O2 didn’t like it on their website, but were fine over the phone.

1 Like

Message Thames Water over Twitter. I was able to get them to update over DM and now have “THAMES WATER UTILITIES LTD” sitting in my regular payments tab.

3 Likes

Just been to CostCo instore after getting my card this morning :grinning: and it didn’t work in the machine I Had to pay with my backup card :negative_squared_cross_mark: :-1:. The cashier said it failed card validation and just beeped for it to be removed.
2D60AB31-4F4F-4DB0-9F42-7B97C659B4C8

Car park payment self service machine declined at Churchill Square shopping centre in Brighton 227DB110-D39C-4CBF-A2A5-86903E49FD51

I was under the impression that Costco don’t accept MasterCard full stop I bank with metro bank and they issue a debit MasterCard and have to use my other bank Natwest, I think the reason is they don’t take credit cards except American Express (I think) so I think there tills see a debit MasterCard as a credit card therefore doesn’t work

From the costco website http://m.costco.co.uk/payments_and_refunds

2 Likes

Hmm my NatWest visa debit worked at CostCo and if their website says most major debit cards I’d assume that would include Visa and MasterCard debit cards. I’m asking my friends which cards they use to confirm.

This is probably because Mastercard debit cards are an extremely rare thing (I think they only account for about 1% of the debit cards in the UK). Visa debits are far, far more common, so people probably assume mastercard = credit card.

3 Likes

Dug into CostCo’s terms of service for membership and I found this section:

We welcome cash, cheques and debit cards (UK Maestro, Visa Debit), and all forms of American Express. We do not accept any other credit cards.

I wonder if their payment systems are so old they treat maestro as mastercard, or if they’d just blanket refuse them :thinking:

Also, this section seems like it’s part of US card-shenanigans:

Cheques must be in the exact amount, issued on the member’s account, and pre-printed with the member’s name. Debit cards and American Express cards must be in the members name.

(emphasis mine)

2nd Gen card linked to my current account I cannot use with Skybet. Errors trying to add card.

What error?

You may need to remove other non-withdrawable cards from your account.

Telford shopping centre car park works :+1: 48551BFF-9E25-407B-B1AD-E9C269661132

1 Like

Yeah I was at Costco on Saturday and it didn’t recognise my 2nd Gen CA or my friends Prepaid card. The lady that served me said they only accept Visa Debit and AMEX.

Is the Swan Centre top car park the one in Eastleigh, near Southampton? If so, thats right around the corner from where I live :eyes: @tristan

Ok let me clarify O2. You can’t set up the direct debit on the website or through chat. You have to speak to customer services. They don’t recognise the sort code but will override their system to allow it. I will come back here and let you know if it worked at the start of September.