Google's spring clean 2019

(Ravi) #21

Seems about as non controversial a list of EOL’d services as you could get.

(sam) #22

Inbox was built to enable the Inbox Zero concept which wasn’t well supported in other clients at the time, however the concept is now a part of the Gmail app so they’re shutting down Inbox.

(Sam) #23

Have you used Google Trips? It’s another application to download, but it automatically detects trip-related emails in Gmail and creates a Trip, showing flight and hotel details at a glance. It also shows information about the destination including places to visit etc.

This is the reason I switched back to iOS. Can’t trust Google with anything :disappointed:

(Ravi) #25

This affects iOS users the same as those on Android.

(David Walton) #26

Yes, I used trips, but keep coming back to the concept of a single client for as much ‘workflow’ as possible. As in Inbox/Gmail only. Inbox just made it work without having to think about anything.

Not if you stop using Googles products :man_shrugging:t3:

I’m still pissed off that they’re getting rid of Google+. It’s the only social-type thing I have, and was the way I connected with others :frowning:

Dicks.

(Thomas Allan) #29

Google has told dozens of employees on its laptop and tablet division to find new jobs at the company, raising questions about its hardware plans

(Simon B) #30

Pixel Slate was widely panned, as I recall, so that’s probably why. I’m hoping they continue to release Pixelbooks, but I can’t imagine those need a huge amount of people working on them at this point - design updates would only be incremental in the short to medium term.

Yeah I can’t say I see the appeal of the Slate. I do love the Pixel book so would definitely be tempted in a more affordable option of that and possibly the next iteration of the original.

(Caspar) #32

Feedly is a great alternative, it was almost a clone of it when it first launched, they’ve added lots of nice features like Collections so you can share articles around specific topics.

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #33

Google have changed their wording :eyes:

“After March 2019” instead of “By the end of March 2019” :pray:

I know it’s not much longer but I’m hoping Inbox can survive :joy:

Too optimistic of me? :smirk:

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #34

Just opened the Inbox app on my phone :eyes::see_no_evil: