Google Pixel 6

Samsung bloatware and their own version of too many things is the reason I’d never get one of their phones.

2 Likes

Exactly this.

I’ve tried to get into iOS - I told myself I’d keep an iphone for a year. I managed 3 weeks!

I really didn’t like the apple watch - much prefer my 7 year old Huawei watch (which still has better battery life than the apple watch despite being a degraded battery). I’m holding out for the pixel watch being good enough to finally replace it.

1 Like

Anything about the Apple watch you didn’t like?
I’ve always been an android use with Samsung watches, but I just don’t feel they do enough and was tempted to try a change

1 Like

Battery life - off charge at 9am and it was whining about battery by teatime. And that’s with everything I could find disabled (the fitness nags drove me nuts, first to go…). My huawei can go 2 days and could do 3 when it was new.

No ability to set your own watch face. The apple supplied ones are utterly dull (except the mickey mouse one). It’s not like I change every day but I do like to have something different based on my mood.

Notifications don’t notify, they put an icon on the watch and you have to open manually… the Huawei watch pops the notification up so you can see it immediately. Then when you have seen what you want the ‘dismiss all’ button randomly alternates between the top and the bottom of the list for some reason… oh and you can’t swipe away individual notifications and keep important ones, it’s all or nothing.

1 Like

Jeez what were you doing with your watch?! I can almost go two days without a charge and I do at least two workouts a day :scream:

A lot of apps have interactive notifications, some are just there on screen though. They DO all pop up in full initially though - when you feel the tap if you raise your wrist you’ll see the whole notification immediately so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

You also can swipe away individual notifications?

I do wish more faces were available but after years of use I found I just use a few different ones that are set up to change automatically when I arrive somewhere (so I have one for when I’m at home, one for outside home, one for work and one for the gym) so in reality I don’t need as much customisation as I would have initially thought.

3 Likes

My Apple Watch does this.

My Apple Watch does this.

4 Likes

I will miss the apple watch.

Thinking of a Huawei GT 2, seems adequate for notifications. There’s the slimmer ones but not sure if they’d be too small a screen to enjoy.

1 Like

Apple should bite the bullet and make it compatible with non-iPhones but it doesn’t seem likely. It’s by far the best smart watch (IMO) but there’s not much incentive for them to change really.

2 Likes

What time do you have tea? My 2 year old Watch is off charge at 9am and on about 25-30% at midnight.

The one thing I’ve found which drains the battery is receiving notifications. During the football season, my battery is depleted more. My guess is that the screen lights up when you interact with the notification, which causes an increased drain.

2 Likes

That’s just sat at a desk with no interaction… I was advised to switch off all the integrations but still couldn’t get it to have usable battery life.

No apps installed, didn’t use it long enough for that, and not really a fan of apps on watches anyway.

I never had a notification popup - in fact I missed a few because I didn’t see the little icon at the top which is all you get. I definitely couldn’t swipe away notifications - first feature I noticed was missing… you had to scroll to the top or bottom (which seemed to randomly change, sucks to be you if you went the wrong way) and hit dismiss all.

Overall I just found I was spending more time dealing with its quirks than using it as a watch, so it went back in its box pretty quickly. Huawei got a hell of a lot right 7 years ago and I’m surprised I’ve not found a viable replacement… too many ‘sports’ watches out there that look like you strapped a steampunk PC to your wrist.

I would really live for this! :heart_eyes:

But yes, sadly a dream to (most likely) never come true.

1 Like

I hate to tell you but either something is wrong with your watch, you aren’t using it right or you don’t have an Apple Watch … because the things you’re describing you CAN do with an Apple Watch and pretty much always have been able to.

If your battery is dying that much you need to get it looked at - it’s absolutely not ever going to drain that much over a day with no usage. It just isn’t.

Notifications pop up. They pop up in full, you can interact with them or dismiss them. To access any other notifications you don’t need to tap the red dot, just swipe down and they are all there. Swipe on any individual notification to either interact or dismiss it.

These features are not missing - they are there.

The swipe up and swipe down have different functions - they do not change, and never have done. There is no randomness to it.

4 Likes

What Apple Watch series was it? Not sure I saw from the posts. Sorry if missed!

I love my Fitbit charge 4. Then again the idea of getting notifications on my watch is like my nightmare so I’m not really a smartwatch target market, I just love the activity tracking especially when hiking and stuff because it lasts a week or so (and if you do need to charge it only takes a tiny amount of the portable charger’s juice)

I thought this phrase had been universally banned after #antennagate

4 Likes

Has anyone rooted their pixel 6 and, are there any apps that now don’t work as a result?

I’m still using a rooted Nexus 6 (remember ‘Shamu’?) and all apps work OK on it, so far. But it’s only a matter of time before :headstone:

3 Likes

As your main phone? :scream:

I had one, for like a few months. Hated it. Nexus 4, on the other hand, was a gem

1 Like

If it was, I’d be :scream: too!
Still using my amazing Pixel5 as the daily driver (wot a phone)

N6 = Dev/teardown/disposable tool which still works OK

I also didn’t take to the N6 initially, subsequently upgrading to the traincrash N6P, but then after using the N6 recently for momentary use, the screen rez & size was ahead of its time. Like going back to a 3:2 laptop display ratio after 16:9. Weird but it works.

3 Likes