Google Pixel 4 / Pixel 4 XL

I have forced on 90Hz so I haven’t noticed anything :grin:

1 Like

I’m going to see if Google Fi will have that awesome Black Friday promotion like they had last year. If so I will be getting the Pixel 4.

If you have a G Suite account set up at all on the phone then the new Assistant won’t work!

1 Like

Yep, that was the problem in the end.

Apparently the Biometric Prompt API was released over a year before the Pixel 4 was, so I’m somewhat concerned to learn that Monzo still hasn’t been able to adopt it. I’m not a developer so perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area can comment. Should I be concerned that Monzo appears to have ignored a security advancement for over a year? What other Android elements are Monzo failing to use and what are the security implications?
Why doesn’t the Monzo app auto-lock when it loses focus, is that a separate issue or does it relate to the lack of adoption of the Biometric Prompt API?

No

1 Like

Well thanks for responding. Can you elaborate regarding your view of this? I’ve noted that Monzo seems to favour iOS, and this lack of adopting an Android security change is worrying to me. The HMRC app immediately worked with the Android Face Unlock feature, so clearly it’s possible.

Can anyone explain why the Monzo app does not auto-lock when it loses focus, is that a separate issue or does it relate to the lack of adoption of the Biometric Prompt API? What is going on here? Is there a system setting I’ve missed that will allow me to resolve this?

I’d really appreciate a detailed response from Monzo, because via in-app chat I’m just getting vague statements that it’s being worked on. I’ve receiving those same type of responses over the flaws in Summary for well over a year now, so you may begin to understand why I’m not reassured.

There’s a major difference between Android and iOS being that every iPhone is running the same software, or at least different versions of the same software, as well as that I’m pretty sure that Touch ID and Face ID are part of the same SDK so if you support one iPhone, you pretty much support them all. Android is very different, each company that developed android phones builds there own layer of software on top of it meaning for a lot of phones it requires extra work by the devs to be able to support it. The pixel 4 face recognition would be very different from a Samsung or Huawei face recognition therefore requiring more work.

Just because the new Biometric API exists, doesn’t mean that all manufacturers have switched to it.

That’s my understanding of it anyway, I hope it helps.

It would be interesting to see some adoption rates of the Biometric API, what manufacturers are using it, how many devices are using it. If it’s just Pixel 4 running it for now than the userbase probably isn’t large enough for Monzo to prioritise it.

This is because Monzo have chosen to default to ease-of-use over security theatre. I, for one, appreciate not having to unlock my Monzo app every time I open it. I don’t consider this a security issue as I have a lock on my phone, so anyone who gets their hands on my phone won’t be able to access any of my apps, including Monzo.

2 Likes

No reason why auto-lock couldn’t be an option so we could all set it as we prefer. I also have a lock on my phone, however I don’t wish to rely on never forgetting to lock my phone and the app used to lock when it lost focus. Is your phone never sat for a few minutes prior to it’s auto-lock function kicking in? Have you never passed your phone to someone else for them to briefly make a call, perhaps view some photos, use the Internet, etc.? I feel it should be possible to lock the Monzo app, without needing to remove my account from the app each time.

Personally I’ve never given mine to anyone I didn’t trust not to start opening random apps.

Even then if they did open my monzo app they can’t actually move any money out of it without my authentication.

I’m not against there being an option for the additional security that you’re asking for provided that I can turn it off; as the only person who it would be slowing down or applying friction to would be me.

2 Likes

My phone auto-lock is very strict, it locks when the screen goes off, and as I always turn the screen off before setting it down, it’s never left unlocked.

I never let people use my phone to make calls, and when showing photos I hold the phone - “Look with your eyes, not your hands!” I always say if they try and touch it :sweat_smile:

I’m not against Monzo adding option locking settings, when they get around to it. But I don’t see anything wrong with the current behaviour, and I would want that to remind the default.

If I hand my phone to someone I pin the app they need to use so they can’t anything else.

Thanks for that, I didn’t know that trick.

It’s in security settings

1 Like

Thought I would try out astrophotography mode, tripod at the back of the house with a full moon to my back which partly illuminates the tree.

Not bad I have to say, going to try it in a darker location next week.

3 Likes

Those shots are very, very good.

Looking forward to the trials next week!

How is everyone finding the phone now after a few months.

I will be honest I think this is the most disappointing phone Google have made. There are so many small bugs, like the Google search app constantly freezing and crashing. The fact the new assistant still does not work with G-Suite. Ect ect

Bar the screen being a lot nicer I actually really miss my Pixel 2. The face unlock is great but soli as a whole has been useless.

Considering the last few hardware failures Google have churned out I think they need a good clear out of some people at the company.

Those of you that are interested it appears that the app lock will shortly be available again for Pixel 4 users - Monzo Labs: Android Biometric Prompt (Face Unlock!)

So never got a real chance to go and experiment in other locations with astrophotography mode but here are 2 images one taken with the pixel 4 and the other a composite on my A7III

3 Likes