Google Pay / Wallet

James,
Do you have the APK download for the Monzo app for ANY Linux platform (I am using Ubuntu 17.04)

Apologies for ‘out-of-blue’ request from a stranger but I am retired systems programmer with time on his hands.

I’m also trying to track down a bug (a race condition) that affects the Monzo software but I believe the fault is Google/Android sloppy programming+hardware fault IMO.

Regards,

Dave Mellor

2 Likes

Hurry Apple Pay Cash!!!

1 Like

Oh and Chrome is finally getting a bit of a makeover! :sparkles:

chrome-material-design-redesign

4 Likes

Fingers crossed on new iPhone day and iOS 12 release day! :star_struck:

Finally. I’ve been waiting for this!

Can anyone advise if Google Pay or Samsung Pay can be used anywhere that is accepting contactless or does the merchant specifically have to accept Google or Samsung Pay?

Anywhere that accepts contactless.

3 Likes

To add they require additional work to accept over the £30 standard contactless limit but I find it’s quite rare these days that places are still limited.

3 Likes

Just the big places. Like Asda and Tesco! :rage:

3 Likes

I’m a bit dissapointed that more places aren’t integrating their loyalty programs with Google Pay and even Apple Pay. It’s a shame especially considering how things like contactless one tap loyalty redemption and payment is possilbe with them. Anyone know why more places aren’t keen to implement this?

1 Like

I am not aware of any such integrations outside of the US? (even though I did suggest it to M&S in a feedback form and the surprisingly replied that they will look into it - 2 years ago :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

If I were a retailer, I’d probably be worried about which platform to pick - potentially alienating half my customer base. Or do I go for both? In which case are they interoperable and how do I manage that? What about customers with neither? Am I excluding them? If I have to run parallel (or a third) piece of infrastructure, where’s the business case coming from to do this?

Also what’s the cost? Both in terms of paying for the service, or in giving Apple/Google data that they could sell to my competitors for competitive advantage, or from repetitional risk if there’s a Facebook / Cambridge Analytica type scandal…

I mean, it could all be good and fine, but these would be the questions I’d start with.

2 Likes

The integrations I know of the top of my head (because I use them) is the Tesco Clubcard and the Costa Card. Both are added via a button in the respective app. The clubcard one is nice because it includes your current points tally within Google Pay itself. The Costa one is a bit naff because it doesn’t give you any points or monetary value in the app itself. It even explicity tells you to open the Costa app to look at your points balance.

I wish that this was the way that Tesco had implemented Pay+ to be honest. Seems like it would be much more user friendly, and certainly quicker!

1 Like

Never seems to update the points for me :frowning:

Mine used to… I got 150 points, it sent me some vouchers, reset my score and now I’ve been on 6 points for a few months despite having way more on my Tesco account :joy:

Might need to delete & re-add to Google Pay :yum:

1 Like

I’ll let you try that first :joy:

I suppose you’d have to do both regardless, and I doubt there is much interoperability, arguably only the art assets would be directly transposable. Both wallets use jsonthough to structure the pass so I doubt it would be very difficult for the server software to alter the structure of the json file depending on the platform the request originates from.

The business case I suppose would be more frequent use of the loyalty program due to automatic redemption if using NFC redepmtion. Also, I know Google Pay in the US offers instant enrolment into the walgreens loyalty program, so if that was implemented more loyalty program users and increased growth would be a benefit.

In terms of security and data protection. The only thing Google gets is things like the users name (which they’d already have) and things like customer IDs which I doubt they could do much with.

I just noticed mine was stuck too. Unfortunately it doesn’t update. Must have broken their implementation of the API.

1 Like

Wish more retailers had stylised “passes” like the tesco and subway ones :frowning: