Google event September 30th - Pixel 5

You guys probably don’t care but you can use the new apple MagSafe charger and it will magnetise on the Pixel.

Only reason I’ve got a Chromecast service is for when I was trying out Stadia, in its current form it’s pretty much useless is the Chromecast, I’m not sure why it took them so long to actually move over to Google TV with a remote. For such a large company they don’t half make some slow awful decisions, it should of been merged together at least 18 months to 2 year back.

I’m currently using my LG TVs web OS system which works pretty well, when it loses support for updates I’ll no doubt get Google TV plugged into that

Headphones are arriving tomorrow via DHL

I’m curious what would be considered the proof of purchase for these headphones in case of an insurance claim or manufacturer warranty claim?

The claim validation email is my guess?

2 Likes

That was fast! I’m sure there’s an accessible ‘paper trail’ for warranty purposes.
Patiently waiting for mine to ship/arrive, so one more Xmas pressie ticked off…

giphy

I’m thinking of upgrading from my Pixel 2 XL to the Pixel 5. Is the screen really the same size but the phone as a whole smaller?

Looks like I missed out on the freebie with the Pixel 5 :disappointed:. Maybe I should wait for another promo…

1 Like

If you go on a site like gsmarena.com you can compare the physical sizes.

They’ll likely be some decent deals on black Friday so I’d hold out for then.

1 Like

I’ve just done the same upgrade.
The screen is the same height but thinner in width. So noticeably smaller in screen estate.

1 Like

DISPLAY

Pixel 5 Pixel 2 XL
Type OLED, 90Hz, HDR10+ P-OLED
Size 6.0 inches, 87.6 cm2 (~85.9% screen-to-body ratio) 6.0 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~76.4% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~432 ppi density) 1440 x 2880 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 6 Corning Gorilla Glass 5
Always-on display Always-on display
1 Like

I’ve done the same upgrade. Going ‘down’ from the 2XL is initially difficult,as the 5 is very much smaller in the hand. The 2XL feels enormous after using the 5 for a couple of days. If you like the heft of the 2XL you may be disappointed with the 5.

But OS updates for 3 more years, twice the RAM, better battery life & wireless charging swung it for me, not forgetting 10% in-store credit and Bose QC :headphones:'s
Missing the front notification LED and assistant squeeze though :cry:

I can’t let the 2XL go just yet, it’s passed on to a family member who is very happy. It was - and still is - one of the best :android: phones (after the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5 of course)

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll have to visit a phone shop and check it out.

I’ve been patiently waiting for the sage Pixel 5 to come back into stock…

:triumph:

I’ve got the black and ordered a green fabric case from Google.
Not shipping until Nov 11th though :disappointed:

I’m considering the same. I usually have a case on my phone, so getting sage is a little redundant.

But it looks so pretty!

Horses for courses but the Galaxy Nexus was one of the poorer Nexuses for me.

Nexus 6P was possibly my favourite phone ever, but you have to pour one out for the Nexus 5 too.

I love the new Google TV + Chromecast. Ordered that and the Pixel 5 (almost typed Nexus 5, that phone was <3 ) on event day.

And nine days on they’ve just emailed to say they are posting it now :slight_smile:

I put my claim in on the first day possible and there’s been a eight or nine day spread against someone who did on the same day. Funny old life

Mine eventually turned up damaged after nearly a week, DHL really living up to their Drop it, Hit it, Lose it acronym.

But I’m really impressed with the headphones , I’ve never invested in good anc headphones before and now I regret it.

Download the Bose connect app, there’s an update for the headphones available, and it’s refreshing that they let you skip the account sign-up , not many companies let you these days.

3 Likes

This is now my fourth pair and never any regrets

Was essential to me when working in my very loud office was still a thing

Moved on from my original QC15s as the constant churn through AA batteries and getting the wire wrapped around stuff on my desk was starting to be an annoyance

Bought some QC35 IIs back in late 2017 in the “Black Friday” promotion and they were a revelation, even having had the QC15s. Sound much better and so very comfortable

I did add some Sony WH-1000XM3 back in early 2019 - again I have been a very heavy user of ANC headphones - but I have not warmed to them as the fit is less comfortable for me, they feel and sound a bit “creaky” construction wise and the soundscape is not to my taste - I brought those QC35 IIs home in March and left the Sony WH-1000XM3, with their “better” ANC, there as that’s probably the better mix

So here I am back with a second pair of QC35 IIs. My partner has just tried them on when we unboxed and connected them and she remarked how good very good headphones are - this is my personal obsession - and I cannot think of a better compliment than that

2 Likes

TL;DR Don’t skimp on something that’s important to you

1 Like

TBH I’m not too impressed with the QC35s… that noise floor is obnoxious though, I’d be really pissed if I’d paid £200 for them.

Sound isn’t as good as my audio technica headset but I’ve not tried them wired through a DAC yet so possibly not a fair test.