Gmail turns 15 - do you remember when it launched?

Wow. I remember when it first launched :slight_smile: and signing up… little did we know!

Gmail-15-birthday-1280x720

Blog post here from the Gmail team.

I’m liking the scheduled send feature… does anyone know when this is launching?

2 Likes

I had gmail when you had to be invited to have gmail

6 Likes

same - what’s your earliest email?

1 Like

Would have been the same sorta time, I dunno what is going on with mine but all my deleted emails have gone I know thats what is supposed to happen but I just used it as an old E-Mail referal thing lol

Most recent I have is 2014 :frowning:

I got an account on April 1st.
Still have it, though haven’t used this account in about 10yrs. Weird looking through my old emails now…

11%20pm

2 Likes

Did you know someone at google?

Earliest email I can find is from 2005.

Didn’t it go through a weird few months of being Googlemail in the UK? :thinking:

1 Like

No as when it started it was Gmail for everybody regardless of where you signed up from.

I bought and invite off of EBay for a quid. Even back then every good variation of my name(s) had already gone.

Scheduled send is gonna be :ok_hand: for pretending you’re working out of hours!

1 Like

Sure – but there was a period after that when it switched to Googlemail, no?

Yes that’s right, some trademark claim or something I think!

EDIT

Yup!

1 Like

I knew someone with an invite, which I think everyone got at the beginning, in limited numbers.

1 Like

To join Gmail at first you had to be invited by someone who already had a Gmail account. Weird but true.

I had to wait until I got an invite from Google if I recall correctly.

Yep, but there were ways around that, so I don’t think anyone I actually knew get stuck with the substandard address form :wink:

Found my first email! I was still in school then and remember being amazed that I only had to type ‘A’ and it found the details for the guy that had invited me (a lot of begging was involved) and filled the email address in.

Pretty sure that you sending to gmail and googlemail both worked fine.

1 Like

Yeah they had a waiting list as well but the fastest way to early access was what I said above.

1 Like