General Election 2024

If paying taxes on your optional spending removes a choice then I suspect you were barely able to make that choice to begin with.

1 Like

Not always, but yes sometimes and my point would be that. Not all private schools are £50k+ a year, most are modest sums of a few thousand a term which many families work hard to scrape the funds together just about to get their kids a better education.

We can go into why private schools often out perform state schools but that’s not the issue at hand.

This isn’t like adding tax to a luxury car, this is often fairly middle class families working their socks off to provide the best for their children, and any unfair taxation on that is wrong in my mind. Nobody yet has convinced me that there is any positive in this policy other than their own ideological position on private schools themselves.

All we are ensuring is that those super rich can still afford this but those who just about are able to afford it are kicked out of the choice and forced into the system that “we” prefer.

I suspect we will have to agree to disagree as I doubt my position will alter on this. I’m fairly anti-VAT in the first place (which I think we have discussed) but where it does exist it should exist for a purpose, and I don’t see any benefits here.

1 Like

For me while VAT exists it should be applied fairly to all optional/luxury spending. Hell sanitary products (tampons/pads/reusable pants) were taxed as if they were a luxury.

I don’t see any reason at all why private school fees should be exempt. If the whole argument is “some people might not be able to afford it” then that falls flat for me as there are already families that can’t afford it without VAT. It is by its very nature exclusionary already.

2 Likes

I suppose the crux of the matter here is we differ on what is luxury spending. I believe in choice, so not choosing to use the state for anything (be it education, social care, healthcare etc) does not automatically make it luxury. I don’t believe in the state having absolute ownership over things like that (but it should exist for any who want it).

It is, for example, arguable that food is necessary but I am sure you were wanting 10% even VAT on everything at some point (apologies if this is not the case and I’m mixing people up) which would go against this.

Like I said, I suspect highly this is the crossroads of the matter and we are firmly on either side - though I can see both sides at least so it’s not an extreme matter we’re discussing!

1 Like

Choosing to pay extra for a thing when there is a cheaper version of the thing is pretty close to the definition of a luxury. If I want a car and I buy a Rolls-Royce because it’s plusher/fancier/faster I chose the luxury purchase. A Ford Focus would’ve got me from A to B.

1 Like

Sorry I forgot to mention this, I agree and it’s healthy to discuss things and think about our own viewpoints and I’m not super passionate about it.

1 Like

I’m also not the 10% vat on food person :grin:

1 Like

I’m obviously just one very confuzzled human.

1 Like

Not sure I follow your analogy. Wouldn’t public transport be the public school system, not a cheaper car?

Is that taxed?

I don’t much care or have a strong opinion on the issue that’s being discussed here. I’m pretty indifferent.

But I did do some number crunching many years (so it might not hold as true today) but the cost of private things to individuals tended to work out cheaper than the publicly funded equivalent. Not necessarily in terms of the amount of tax you pay, but in terms of the amount of tax taken to fund it. The cost to send your child to a private school, for instance, is less than the amount of funding a public school gets out of having your child attend there.

Not sure on the significance of it, but I think it’s something worth thinking about.

1 Like

Public transport isn’t taxed.

1 Like

BBC News - Farage defends claim PM ‘doesn’t understand our culture’

Oh dear, oh dear… This is the reform rhetoric I was worried about. :grimacing:

I’m certain we’ll see more thinly veiled dog whistling from Farage as this campaign goes on.

I was trying to go for very similar things. A private school has to (mostly) follow a similar curriculum to a public school, and the qualifications at the end are similar (GCSE/A Level/baccalaureate) so a car to a car felt about right for describing “luxury”.

1 Like

I watched this interview. In my opinion, it was Laura Kuensberg making a big issue out of a comment that is a non-news story. She was determined to turn it into some race type issue in my eyes. Totally uncalled for.

And, for the record, I am NOT a fan of Farage.

1 Like

Seeing as he very clearly stated he’s disconnected by “class and privilege”, it’s hardly a dog whistle about his race is it.

1 Like

Which is odd in itself as Farage and Sunak are remarkably similar in “class and privilege.”

2 Likes

That’s literally what a dog whistle is. You say it’s about one thing, but you know your supporters will understand it to be about this other underlying, unspoken thing instead.

Dog whistles use language that appears normal to the majority but communicates specific things to intended audiences.

4 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Politics Joe had interviews with people at his campaign launch and the major problem they all had was foreigners of all ilks. One of them even said “being called racist is boring”. To think that Farage isn’t stoking hatred against people that aren’t “British” in the sense that they look British is frankly naive in my opinion.

Obviously I have strong opinions on this, and I acknowledge others may not.

That’s fine - I don’t personally think it was but not going to passionately argue either way.

1 Like

Instagram seems to be prompting people to register to vote, was surprised to see the link at the top of my feed in the app

1 Like

Tiktok also doing the same