Garmin Pay: When will I be able to buy oat milk with my watch?

Check the list of banks, supporting it in other countries:
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/garminpay/banks/

Garmin is no 1 choice of people, who do running, cycling and triathlon.
It’s very popular nowadays, especially in big cities, like London.

2 Likes

It’s not, miles behind Apple Watch for example, and if there was a next payments platform to support, it would be Samsung Pay first, before, and I know I’ll get grief for this, but niche services like Fitbit and Garmin pay

1 Like

It should be both! If other banks even in not developed countries can do it - it should not be a big deal.
Juts a matter of will. Looks, like Monzo doesn’t want it.

Monzo really doesn’t support Garmin Pay? - Wow, I’m just ordering a Garmin Watch now and thought the pay features would be pretty useful… I do love Monzo, but i gather Starling is very similar so I may just jump over to Starling instead.

Based on the reading, Monzo seems quite behind (shockingly, considering how progressive they seem to be) on all the latest payment methods.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, but quite a bold entrance

Each new payment method brings with it a world of pain - think of the press coverage everytime someone’s card does not work even with the major networks that the banks keep their beadiest eye on

Starling for now benefit from extra payment methods because they use GPS as a third party payment processor

However GPS are also not the most stable it seems, as evidenced by Revolut deciding it is time to bring it in house

That might result in Revolut (and maybe later Starling) having to make the same difficult decisions with regards to which payment methods are worthy of full support

Easier to say than do

1 Like

I’ve been using monzo for several years but am switching over to Starling due to Garmin Pay. It’s a shame but when I’m out running I don’t want to carry my phone, wallet or card. Having payments supported on my watch is a great feature which is really useful for runners so I have to make the switch.

3 Likes

Shame really. I wish I had looked at the bank providers for Garmin Pay prior to signing up to Monzo - only 5 banks in the UK provide it and Starling is one of them. I’ll continue with Monzo until January, when no doubt i’ll be part of the new years resolution runners again using a new Garmin Christmas present!

1 Like

I am using both (for now at least) so have Monzo on Google Pay on phone and Starling on Garmin Pay on the watch. I would ideally prefer Monzo on both (and am astonished, despite the believable arguments about erxtra work - when has that ever stopped Monzo!?! - that they dismiss it so) but with the new SCA regulations and the stupidity of needing to enter a pin every nth contactless payment (**) I think it safer to have the two, so I have a backup.

** Although I think that Google/Apple Pay (and hopefully therefore Garmin Pay) won’t get hit by this because of the extra authentication required to use them in the first place?

I’m still looking for enough reasons to switch from Starling to Monzo, but having just ordered some Garmin watches, with Garmin Pay being available with Starling and no sign of it on Monzo, guess we’ll stay put.

Also a big fan of Garmin watch and would love to be able to leave my wallet behind.

Perhaps Monzo can look into introducing a cheap passiv wearbale bracelet. I would for sure order one in a heart beat!

Can Anyone from Monzo comment if Garmin pay is something Monzo is investigating ?

Starling got them for free by using a third party card processor (that Monzo used to use). They also got a collection of outages and downtime.

I saw in the Starling thread that they may be taking all that ‘in house’ so it will be interesting to see if they are prepared to put the development time into all these other ‘pays.

Edit:Aaaaand the post I was replying too is gone.

3 Likes

Please add support for this, it pained me to leave Starling for this reason - I used it pretty much everyday. I switched knowing how progressive Monzo were and quickly they added features so thought it would only be a matter of time - can’t believe we’re still waiting!

Starling & (now even Santander!) are the only big banks in the UK to support it - I would have expected Monzo to be the first…

The use case is extremely limited compared to Apple / Google pay. It’s not worth Monzo’s time to work on this at the moment.

2 Likes

You compare different things. Apple / Google Play is already done and need support only.
You should compare to other not finished, but wanted features, where developers put their effort.

Even being less popular than Apple / Google devices, Garmin is a choice of most of elite triathlon and marathon athletes, Iron Man and so on. Often highly paid professionals, doing sport in their spare time.
You need to think, before rejecting this group to the competitors. Sometime quality is more important, than quantity.

1 Like

But is the time of Monzo to address the wants of the very limited number of extreme / professional athletes to support a payment method which will likely only duplicate what they can already do with their phone worth delaying features/fixes which are wanted by the entire Monzo customer base?

5 Likes

You can see why fraudsters and scammers go with “I can’t feed my seven babies and four kittens”. Rather more sympathetic a grouping

Basically only a couple of not exactly big banks have this and one of them only has it because their third party card processor, made out of marzipan, supplies it - they leave to make their own and lose this…

Were it just the engineering effort involved I imagine they might be able to sneak this in, but it is not. The heavily utilised payments team are busy with SCA and 3DSecure2 new cards and so on and I’d prefer them to concentrate there

1 Like

I believe certification with Mastercard may also be required for each new form of payment.

2 Likes

Now that Google has picked up Fitbit, the Garmin shares have gone up. I’ve personally started wearing my Garmin full time, rather than my Fitbit and imagine that many others may start to do that too. Being able to run just with my watch, rather than my card would be great but I’m sure the Dev team know that by now!

1 Like

This will definitely be a good integration. Starling and Revolut already integrated.

I opened a starling bank account to enjoy this feature in my Garmin smartwatch.

Garmin is launching more affordable watches every years, which makes sense that Monzo join the club.