FYI - We don't support iOS 13 (yet!)

:joy::joy:

You’re not paying £3 a month for the app!

And you can use it, just revert back to iOS 12.

5 Likes

Ps monzo works in ios13

1 Like

I’m paying £3 for the account (and to support Monzo) and the app isn’t good for much else than managing said account, is it?

And as @nickh said it, it’s pretty sad that all legacy banks work on iOS 13 while a fintech who claims to be at the forefront of technology might not have their app working before September. Other developed update their apps to work with iOS 13 way before a public release, and say so in their release notes…

It’s just a bank, so I can easily switch back to another account I use… I’d rather have iOS 13 :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Wait for HSBC / First Direct to update their app. They actively block early iOS releases; or have done for the last 3 years.

1 Like

Completely agreed.

Restore your phone to iOS 12 then…

2 Likes

Yet you’ll keep paying the £3 per month for Monzo Plus for the next 12 months? Instead of rolling back to the stable, non-beta iOS? :face_with_monocle:

Some things won’t work and as pointed out above other banks block early iOS releases.

Demanding Monzo support a potentially unstable build is a little OTT. You’ve chosen to get the beta release, you’ve discovered an app that doesn’t work.

3 Likes

It feels pretty stable actually, about as buggy as Beta 1 normally is… and better than some years - half of your apps don’t work, battery drains in half the time and the OS randomly dies - nothing like that since 2017. Which is why Monzo dying just feels a bit weird, I don’t really care either way - but I feel a TestFlight build will turn up that’ll fix it. I’m sure someone at Monzo will end up running 13b1 or b2 pretty soon.

I feel the “thrill seekers” warning from Apple is to avoid lots of poor quality Radar / crash reports from non-developers in the early betas from the last couple of years, where b1/2 could be downloaded via profile instead of ipsw.

I find it hilarious the number of people willing to install unstable software on their main device then kick off to a third party developer that’s had no prior knowledge of the os when things don’t work! The legacy banks got lucky, or perhaps keep their apps close to the stock parts of iOS apis.

As mentioned here, Monzo is leading the way with fintech and from where I stand that means pushing the boundaries of what the iOS frameworks can deliver. It just means that out of the gates, that hasn’t translated well to iOS 13.

The bottom line is iOS 13 is in Developer Beta 1 and honestly, you’re lucky more apps aren’t crashing. If you installed iOS 13 then officially speaking, you had access to the many warnings Apple put out before you went ahead with it. If not, then you’re not supposed to have it so have no argument.

If you’re precious about having Monzo working immediately, my advice is to downgrade to iOS 12 and leave iOS 13 to the real developers.

:v:t3:

28 Likes

I agree, but I reckon something working by Public Beta would probably be wise?

2 Likes

Because some are approached by Apple, to showcase the new updates. So in turn have access to early code in exchange with a very serious NDA.

Let’s be serious, Monzo is no where as big as some of those developers.

They’ll probably have a working TestFlight build out within a week

1 Like

Absolutely - not the end of the world by any means.

1 Like

What a wild thread

12 Likes

It triggered flash backs to working on the Bar when teenagers would come in running betas, moaning that stuff isn’t working! :rofl:

This infuriated me so much.

4 Likes

You’ll be happy to hear HSBC is working fine this time around! iOS 12’s beta was problematic but this year everything is running fine out-of-the-box.

Bear in mind the public beta is over a month away, so Apple aren’t expecting anyone to be actively using this right now anyway.

Monzo’s fix is probably minor (but it could be a number of stacked bugs to resolve), so we’ll likely see something soon, but we shouldn’t be rushing them to get a build out for an incredibly buggy platform. I mean, I’ve been on this beta for two days now and a lot of the system apps are very unstable (looking at you Mail)

I think he’s saying that they’re going to update their app to block access on the beta, even if it’s working fine now. They haven’t had time to update their app to implement said block yet.

lol this thread

4 Likes

So, obviously not paying any attention to any warnings decided to be a thrill seeker and “try” iOS 13. It’s not that buggy, I’ve used buggier software including software from Monzo. That’s the risk you take when using betas. However as I am full Monzo, not being able to use the app meant that its not an option to remain on iOS 13 and have downgraded to iOS 12. So this little experiment resulted in 3 observations - I rely heavily on the Monzo service/app, I’m not that fussed about dark mode and the recovery mode screen now shows a MacBook rather than the iTunes symbol.

However, will keep an eye on the community and as soon as I see that Monzo is working will update then.

2 Likes