Freetrade: Free Share Trading

Yes, it’s £12,300 this current tax year. You offset this against the profit (gain) when you sell investments. You won’t pay anything if your investment is in an ISA.

1 Like

I suspect all income other than salary and savings (as these seem to have separate allowances)?

In which case the ISA does not seem necessary for most people who invest small amounts

Probably not but also note that investing through a S&S isa means any future gains won’t be taxable on the things you invest in today. This makes them a wise choice for anyone who might be keeping things in there longer than the easily foreseeable future.

Like, what if you start a business and start paying yourself with dividends. Or leave money in there to retirement (when you might be living off gains). Or when the government reduces the tax free barrier etc.

1 Like

Freetrade has a new feature that lets you see your portfolio breakdown by position now.

6 Likes

Am I missing something? Crypto article in the FT today says that Freetrade recently launched crypto trading. As far as I’m aware this isn’t true (they’ve built/teased some form of it but Adam’s latest AMA on their forum said they’re waiting on the FCA re licensing: are their any beta testers of Freetrade Crypto?

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen, perhaps it’s live for staff only right now :thinking:

1 Like

Freetrade are the next to put up prices.

Received an email today to say they have rejigged their lineup. They are removing the Stocks and Shares ISA fee and spinning it into a new £4.99 ‘Standard’ tier. You wither need to pay £4.99 or transfer out the ISA.

Not a massive change from £3 to £5, but another company joining in the fun.

Edit: Added screenshot.

I think it is a good move as you get additional benefits the extra £2 a month and it simplifies their pricing structure.

If you keep £2k in there, then the interest will pay for the extra cost of the subscription over the year anyway.

6 Likes

Also worth noting the value of Plus has massively improved. Now £10 includes SIPP (previously needed to pay extra for SIPP account).

They might lose some people who don’t want to move up from £3 to £5, but I also think they’ll tempt more people to upgrade to £10 than they were previously.

3 Likes

Agreed, I paid for Plus and a SIPP before, so I’m saving £7/mo with this change.

I personally feel this product mix adds a lot more value and is quite competitive.

6 Likes

For many of Freetrade’s users, that will be a lot of cash to keep uninvested.

2 Likes

Basic member are losing an awful lot of US stocks under this change too. I’m not a fan, and this will probably send me back to Charles Stanley for buying specific stocks. The nickel and diming from Freetrade’s freemium approach, hobbled by the very limited universe, even if you pay, makes them really poor value for me at this point, even on the free plan.

I’d have to move my ISA to them to make it viable, and I’m not going to do that.

So much for making investing accessible. Its a shame.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. Still will be a benefit for many others too.

1 Like

As someone onto the current £3 plan, I’ll still probably end up paying, but I’m not particularly impressed with what I’m getting for the extra £2.

It’s only £2, but that’s still a 40% increase.

2 Likes

True - and keeping £2000 cash in the account for the interest doesn’t cover the extra £2, unlike Plus where £4000 in the account will cover the £9.99 fee.

1 Like

A 40% increase but you get the expanded stock universe and limit orders/stop losses, as well as the interest on uninvested money. I don’t mind the extra fee, it means I can close off my T212 account now, as I’ll be able to trade some stocks I previously did not have access to.

1 Like

It’s been the same price for 3.5 years. So I think some movement was inevitable.

1 Like

I think there was fee rejiggle at II as well, but not sure if o am still on the right plan, or if I can benefit from downgrade.

Some nice window dressing from Freetrade. Clean pricing structure and Plus is now worthy of its name with the SIPP.

But the real elephant in the room is Freetrade just can’t ship anything really meaningful; looking at Glassdoor reviews they seem to have a problem with Technical Debt and lack of a CTO.
How do they not have any form of AutoInvesting yet?!

2 Likes

I think it still does this. When I first started investing I would have been very happy with the opportunity to trade 1500 stocks without dealing fees, as well as fractional shares. Instead I was paying HL £10 per trade.

I would however like to see lower or waived ISA fees for those with beginner/small portfolios. I think this is more important than wider stock access on the free plan.

3 Likes