Formula 1

Will do, going to set it up at some point today hopefully

1 Like

Yeah this is what I mean though, by bundling it you would like to think it would entice the people who are using streams/VPNs to just pay Sky instead for the proper thing.

So they’d lose some revenue from the existing customers but would balance it back out or even make more from new customers brought in by it.

This. I’ve just had the payment go out my bank for this months package, but since I already pay for a VPN I’m probably just going to use F1 TV instead in future. Only thing I’ll miss are the chaotic gridwalks but theyre always available on Youtube anyway.

F1 TV Pro is around $80 for the year, and NordVPN often have offers going for things like a 2 year membership for as little as $70, so in total just over $100 a year. Beats the £500+ for Sky NOW

1 Like

It might well do.

But lets say there are 2 million Sky Sports subscribers, paying £30 each. 200,000 only care about F1 and would drop down to £7 for just that.

2m x £30 is £60m. Change that so that 200k don’t pay for all of it and only £7 now. That’s a £4.6m loss.

That means you need to find another 650k customers to watch F1 at £7 just get back to even.

I’m not saying you’re wrong and Sky will have done these numbers based on actual data, not me plucking them out of thin air, but it’s a risky decision.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re probably right, it’s only gonna cost more as well since the value of F1 has gone through the roof, won’t be long till it costs near as much as the Premier Leauge!

They can afford the risk for a year trialing it at least! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They don’t put adverts in the middle of the race, though. Or during qualifying sessions. That’s all that matters to me. I don’t care if they want to fill the rest of the channel with adverts because I’m not watching those bits (sorry, Ted).

3 Likes

I’ve just managed to get the full Sky Sports package on Sky Stream for £20/month (18 month term). New subscriber (after watching via other means for years) and I have to say I’ve missed the simplicity of Sky, even if it does come with a significant price tag.

2 Likes

Bundling 101

1 Like

What do we all make of the Aston so far? I’m quite impressed with their development, hoping they can keep it up for more than a few race weekends before the rest of the midfield catch up.

In the office today so haven’t watched practice - but from a look at the BBC reporting the session looks good from Aston…would be good to see them competing at the front.

1 Like

You can often get Nord or VPNs with 100% cashback so makes it even cheaper

1 Like

Well, even Stroll has got into the top 10 despite being physically unable to steer through turn 1 - so I’m guessing it’s a rapid car.

3 Likes

I managed to get F1TV working with a 7 day free trial and a free trial of cyberghost.

It airplays to the Apple TV beautifully and the coverage just from P2 is a joy to watch over Sky.

Alex Jacques and Jolyon Palmer are a great duo

2 Likes

Wonder whether Stroll will have to be assessed any further? I know he did some sim running before they confirmed he would race but that won’t replicate the G; and it doesn’t seem quite safe based on yesterday. You can’t say he has full control of the car.

I know drivers can get fatigued in races at the start of the season where they aren’t used to all the forces being out on them, but this seems different to me…

1 Like

I mean look at the video below, can he even get out of the car unaided in an emergency?

https://twitter.com/mattamys/status/1631741601448968192?s=46&t=1K7c_wzsidBO0cgMbEQJaw

I imagine the FIA will do another jump test before FP3, however after a nights sleep and fine rest he’ll probably do it, same can’t be said after driving though.

I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter saying “if he crashes the adrenaline will step in and he’ll be fine”, I’m not convinced, careless of the FIA and AM to let him race, give Drugovich a chance

2 Likes

Utterly irresponsible. The team need to protect Stroll from himself.

1 Like

If you go down that route he should probably just leave f1 (this is a joke, I agree he shouldn’t be racing and is clearly not ready)

Seemed fine today - guessing he was protecting his wrist yesterday. Or he’s loaded up on painkillers like Rosberg wondered.

1 Like

Yep, one or both of those is probably true.

More broadly, I’m looking forward to seeing how qualifying unfolds more than I expected to be…