Formula 1

Started off quite exciting at start of season, now looks like Max cruising to another title. Ferrari have speed if they could sort the engine issues.

Bring back the V10’s :rofl:

3 Likes

Possibly the best race I’ve ever seen yesterday!

4 Likes

Was a great race, was on edge of seat for the last few laps. Hamilton seems to have car sorted now too.

1 Like

Honestly, the Hamilton, Checo and Leclerc wheel to wheel racing gave me goosebumps.

Still not convinced Mercedes have sorted out their car yet, think it’s still very track, set up and condition specific window. Hopefully it is sorted so we can have 3 teams racing hard but fair for rest of season.

2 Likes

Bit too soon to tell. No slow corners at Silverstone. Could be a case of the track lacks the things that really show up their problems.

Glad Zhou is OK, was very much a “WTF?!” moment when I saw the car fly by upside down at the start. (And was doubly shocked later to find it wasn’t even the most dramatic crash of the weekend.)

1 Like

Should probably add, if anyone hasn’t seen it, it was this one:

Without the halo? Doesn’t bear thinking about.

That car would have 100% gone square into the side of his helmet if the halo hadn’t deflected it up away from him. Anyone that is still against the halo wants drivers to die.

1 Like

The fan view of the Zhou crash is crazy, it’s mental that people can walk away from these in F1 unscathed

1 Like

Just binged some of the other live fancam footage from those in the stands and it’s a marvel he made it out unscathed (props to the rollbar and halo). F1 cars are seriously robust safety wise

It was good thing the car didn’t catch fire though otherwise the way his car was wedged into the gap, I doubt he’d have made a grosean-esque escape.

1 Like

This team is a hot mess right now:

2 Likes

It’s laughable how they have got into this situation, it makes me very sad for Danny Ric because it’s quite clear why Piastri has made that statement. I love Danny Ric

2 Likes

I like Daniel, but he’s such an overrated driver.

1 Like

He’s an excellent driver - you don’t get a superlicence by being a bad one. His biggest problem is his horrifically bad luck.

See, he was great at driving the Red Bull because the style of car suited his style of driving. He just had the misfortune to have Verstappen as his teammate. So he couldn’t stay with Red Bull and win anything, because the team would never put him first.

Since then, he’s not been able to have a car that suits him. The Renault was a dog that couldn’t deliver on what the team had promised him, and the McLaren is a good car but doesn’t suit his driving style. And the team aren’t going to overhaul it to suit him better because, well, it suits Lando. The hope McLaren had was Ricciardo would be able to adapt his style to get the most out of the car, but he hasn’t managed it.

His situation is not at all unique. Look at Red Bull and the issues they had finding a driver after Ricciardo who could get the most out of their car. None of those drivers were bad - Gasly got a lot better again after moving back to Toro Rosso - but just bad fits.

See also Alonso, perhaps the most talented driver to have faced for formula one, yet with an unerring ability to always sign for the wrong seat at the wrong time. Has anyone had to drive more dogs than him?

There’s every chance that if Max were to leave RB and Danny get the seat, he’d be right up there again in a car that suits him. But that’s never, ever going to happen, and that’s his biggest problem right there.

On the other hand, for all his talent, Ricciardo does have the most disgusting podium tradition ever, so there’s also part of me that didn’t feel bad for him doing badly in recent years after all :face_vomiting:

1 Like

This continues sadly. Gobsmacking how (1) He’s one of the all-time greats (2) He’s raced for almost every team in his F1 term (3) He’s STILL trying with the underdog contracts

Commitment embodied. And over 40. His earlier stint with Ferrari was both great and frustrating - runner-up to a then untouchable Vettel.

Then again, how much earnings overall regardless of all of this? I can only dream!

2 Likes

We all make excuses for people we like, but his results speak for themselves. DR has had some of the best opportunities, and underperformed on almost every occasion, apart for a few moments of excellence.

I’m not saying he’s not an excellent driver, I’m just saying he’s overrated. All 20 are incredible drivers, even those that have bought their way onto the team, like Stroll.

I know this is an unpopular opinion.

1 Like

Not at all. I’m a huge Hamilton fan, despite the negativity from family/friends.
Gotta say - Hamilton’s undertake of Perez/Leclerc at Silverstone/Club was a masterstroke of experience and testicles - possibly the highlight of 2022 F1 for me

But there are (19 other) outstanding drivers battling with mechanical/physical issues and industry politics. The best at all of these will prevail. DR is, like Mark Webber was, light-hearted in public but totally focused in the car.

Speaking of Mark Webber - remember this one, pre-halo? OMG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWrg4a-lzg

1 Like

I’m not sure he underperformed at Renault, the car was a dog, especially to start with but towards the end he was getting the most out of it from what I recall. I remember thinking it was a shame he was leaving them so soon because it was coming together.

Red Bill I think are a very toxic team for any second driver, they always have been and always have and I think DR made the right decision to leave there when he did.

McLaren has been a complete clusterf*** for him though. I use to like Zak Brown and what he was doing at McLaren but the way he is acting with drivers at the moment is terrible. They’re now going to be in at least two hefty legal battles for drivers after underhand tactics, pretty terrible really

2 Likes

I really don’t understand the hate Lewis gets, I wouldn’t say I’m a fan but he really is the GOAT and I don’t say that lightly, he is an incredible driver and seems like an incredible person out the car. I really don’t get the hate at all

1 Like

Danny did exactly the same move on the two Alpines at Hungary*. He still often shines when the opportunity lands in front of him, but I think his time at McLaren has made him a bit miserable and it’s really affecting his drive.

* Yes, I know he almost murdered Stroll too.

3 Likes