Flux: thank you and goodbye

Mixed signals. :eyes:

1 Like

Agreed. This is from their terms and conditions:

1. To qualify for the Offer, you must, during the Offer Period, be a customer of Flux, apply for and fully open a personal current account with Starling and make an on-site purchase at a Participating Costa Coffee Store of a Costa Coffee product using your Starling Account debit card and at the time of that purchase

So I’m reading that as you must already be a Flux customer but not with Starling. So a Monzo or Barclays customer connected to Flux. And now you need to open a Starling account during the promotion window and connect Flux.

Anyone else reading it that way? It feels awfully niche…

(Was gonna connect Flux to Starling and use at Costa this month but seems to exclude me at I’m not a new Starling customer).

12 Likes

It would be nice to see a few more retailers. Pret, Starbucks, Nero, Wagamamas, and pub chains.

1 Like

All the kind of places you don’t generally keep or need receipts for then :grinning::wink:

2 Likes

Lol, however good for work expenses, especially pub chains. :grinning:

They’ve now for a status page:

https://tryflux.statuspage.io/

1 Like

I’m a little confused as to whether Costa coffee are up and running now. I don’t remember seeing any announcements :neutral_face:

1 Like

Hi :smile:

Flux and Costa Coffee have partnered to provide a cashback offer for new Starling Bank customers, so at the moment we’re not generating digital receipts for these sales.

This is a separate promotion we’re running for all of those existing Starling and Monzo customers who aren’t able to take advantage of our new offer :wink:

Hope that helps to clarify things!

4 Likes

It does, thanks!

In case you’ve not seen our announcement on Twitter, we’re having our first open office at the end of May (29th). We’d absolutely love for you to come along! It’ll be a small affair, with the topic of the evening currently being voted on over on our Twitter page. We’ll be providing food and drinks and lovely company :grin:

You can pick up a ticket for the evening here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/flux-open-office-tickets-61664587441

1 Like

I’m still confused (it’s Friday head).

Does this mean that using Monzo/Flux at Costa will work/generate a receipt?

No what i make of it is costa will not be integrating the general receipt in banking app side of flux at all.

They will however allow refunds/offers if you use a flux enabled card in certain instances e.g new starling customer or monzo/starling flux enabled customer that has been allocated a costa gift card from flux for doing a trustpilot review

That make sense?

Unfortunately not yet.

When we announced our partnership with Costa Coffee last year we mentioned that the trial would launch with cashback rewards first. This is the beginning of our relationship with Costa Coffee and digital receipts are a future item we’ll explore together. Keep your eyes peeled for more announcements in the future.

https://blog.tryflux.com/coffees-always-good-but-it-s-even-better-when-it-s-half-price-e03c16b0a69d

1 Like

I understand the answer (and your post makes sense). :grinning::+1:

Quite what the purpose of this is, though, I don’t know. It doesn’t make much sense to me. :man_shrugging:

Surely the benefit of any promotion should be to promote both Costa and Flux by showing how they work together in providing digital receipts. This just seems to say, hey here’s a promotion for two brands that don’t actually work together in the way they should.

As I say, Friday head. And maybe I’ll see the genius of it on Monday. But right now I’m scratching my head!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m having trouble getting my head around that too.

I thought flux was fundamentally about receipts being in the banking apps and then loyalty cards and offers may follow on from that.

But this confuses that image a bit.

Maybe Costa aren’t fully sold on the idea and this Starling promotion is a way of flux to show some sort of data to them? I’m really not sure, but hopefully receipt data can happen at some point.

4 Likes

Sorry for the confusion around this. Basically, we’ve not yet fully integrated with Costa - we’re running this offer in conjunction with Starling and Costa to test-run how our partnership might work in the future. So we’re focusing on basket-level rewards only right now, with a view to expanding to receipts and other loyalty later on. Hopefully that helps clarify a bit, but let me know if you’ve got any questions and I’ll do my best to help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So as many of us suspected, the business model is making money as opposed to removing reciepts with dodgy claims?

Hi Rob

Definitely not! :slightly_smiling_face: Digital receipts are at the heart of our mission. But for retailers, the biggest drawcard is how we can work with them to improve customer recruitment and retention by using loyalty programmes and offers. So it’s not unusual that a retailer may want to see what we’ve got to offer on that side of things before committing to full Flux integration :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I understand why retailers might think this, but (in my view) it’s a naive perspective. Costa (for example) aren’t going to get my custom through a niche sign up to Starling offer - they have to give me something (receipts and a compelling loyalty proposition) for me to change my buying habits through Monzo/Flux. The data they’ll get through this sort of thing would seem to be, well pointless.

(To caveat, I clearly don’t have all the data and can’t currently get my head around the master plan. That’s not to say there’s not one!)

7 Likes

But at the moment it looks like there’s no point in switching to Costa for my coffee :coffee: with my Monzo card.

3 Likes