Feedback on testing energy partnerships

My thoughts are not fully-formed yet, but I’d like to try to articulate how we’re thinking about this.

Some people spend the time and effort to really optimise their finances - they keep spreadsheets listing their different bank accounts, they switch gas and electricity every 12 months to get the absolute best deal, always get the best cashback offers etc etc.

But that takes a lot of work, and it’s just too much effort for most people. We’re not talking about a handful of people being a bit lazy - an astonishing 66% of households are on a standard variable tariff. 2 out of every 3!

I’m currently one of those people! I could spend time calling my energy company to switch, but I’ve got about a million emails to get through and Monzo Community Forum posts to write :wink:

So we want Monzo to be a financial control centre that presents you with these kinds of money-saving opportunitites and gives you the ability to switch in one or two clicks. I think it will always be possible to find a strictly cheaper gas and electricity deal (if only by a few pounds) somewhere out there, if you’re a power-user and put the time into researching and manually switching. We want our options to be cheap enough that you always know you’re getting a good deal, and so easy that the 66% of people can take up the offer in a couple of seconds.

Does that make sense?

I totally agree with you. Monzo needs to be the trusted custodian of your data and identity and as well as your money.

We will never transfer your data to a third party without your permission, so you should never receive emails or calls you didn’t expect. We are always thinking about ways we could be inadvertently making you trackable, and how to avoid that as well. Thanks for raising the point :+1:

13 Likes