FAQ (Simplified)

Here’s a first pass at a FAQ

1. Can I keep my prepaid card once the current account has launched.
    NO, but the Current Account can be used in exactly the same way but with greater card acceptance

2. Are you sure? I really like it.
    YES I’M SURE

3. While I’m waiting for the current account card, can I keep using the pre-paid card?
    YES, the transition to the current account happens when you activate the card after receiving it in the post, as described on Current Accounts | Open a Bank Account Online | Monzo

4. Can we have some sort of saving goals?
    It’s been discussed ad nauseum, it’s on the roadmap

5. Can we have a joint account?
    The functionality is planned

6. Please can I keep my prepaid card?
    NO NO NO NO NO

7. Can I get a golden ticket?
    NO

8. I am going on holiday next week can I get my card tomorrow as I saw on MSE that you give free cash machine withdrawals and I didn’t plan in advance to be so cheap?
    NO NO NO

9. Will I need to get a new card once I switch over to the current account?
    YES if you are on prepaid. Optional if you are on the Current Account Preview

10. Can I keep withdrawing money from non-UK ATMs for “free”? I got the Monzo as a currency card you see…
    NO it costs too much

11. Can I keep using my card in overseas shops, restaurants, bars, websites, etc. for “free”? I like to travel/order online from other countries.
    YES your money will be converted at the MasterCard base rate

12. What about all my purchase history in my prepaid app?
    That will be merged over to the CA

13. I think Apple Pay/Android Pay is a great idea. Will you add it?
    Android Pay is here. Apple Pay is coming.

14. Why can’t Monzo have both prepaid and Current Account?

1. I recently signed up and the queue doesn’t appear to be getting any shorter.
    Investors and those with the prepaid card are being given priority for the current account. Once they have all had a chance to sign up the queue will begin moving again

2. …But I have a golden ticket
    Golden tickets were related to the prepaid card and are no longer in use

please add your favourite FAQs - you can edit this post

20 Likes

i guess its a starting point.

Only if you are on the prepaid. Current Account preview cards will continue to work. Just to clear up any confusion.

Not correct. All CA preview cards will need to be replaced in the near future when the full CA launches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wrong. Richard R says it’s not compulsory but you can if you want :wink:

Oooh okay :stuck_out_tongue: That’s changed then!

Does that apply to 1st Gen as well?

Yup, even first gen will be fine. You will be able to apply for a new card if you want. But not compulsory.

1 Like

Yeah @tristan confirmed this in the dev slack channel yesterday too. https://monzodevelopers.slack.com/archives/C0XALTCUX/p1507630676000350

1 Like

That’s confused me! I thought all of preview cards were being replaced.

1 Like

Ah cool. It was in the blog that you would have to get a new card but obviously that’s changed :slight_smile:

1 Like

DB190372-EB52-483F-8D56-63DD32CE1E9B

2 Likes

Only for existing PP customers. If you’re on the preview it isn’t explicitly stated in the blog (hence the multiple queries about this in the dev slack channel)

First post is now a wiki, you can add it! (Thanks @HoddzDJ)

2 Likes

Lets delete all our old posts then

1 Like

I think there’s a degree of confusion from people who think when their prepaid becomes a CA, everything changes.

It’s going to be like the prepaid, but on steroids

The debit card you receive initially with the current account will need to be replaced at some point later this year with an updated version.

(Nb: for those reading, this statement is not correct anymore)

1 Like

Yes, that has been superseded by the new blog entry.

1 Like

I added an Apple Pay question. Seem to read that a lot

1 Like

Sure, but a lot us early people signed up based on that blog so it’s not unreasonable for people to be confused, as it has been stated explicitly before.

1 Like

Yep, I was harbouring the same misunderstanding as Hugh

Although I want my investor card… but the first pass cards may not get charged at charging ATMs. Difficult choice.

1 Like