Family accounts / Accounts for children / under-16s

When I was a kid it was 10p saving stamps from the post office :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m using gohenry for this service at the mo. It works really well (even better now the pre-paid card has a sort-code & account number), but the £2.99 charge per month and the +£50p charge for ‘additional top-ups’ during a monthly cycle leave a bitter taste. I understand they need to make money but it seems high to me.

I’d like to see a Monzo solution for this too - vote as per @Ordog’s link above :point_up:

2 Likes

I’d check the Ts & CS, but a companion card from Starling might do the trick for you. It works like a prepaid card attached to a Starling bank account.

2 Likes

It could only be thus if they had had the chance to do so but deliberately made a decision to not provide children’s accounts in favour of some other development, so I’d be delighted to know what access you have to the internal discussions on this matter to offer up that bon mot. Otherwise it just looks like baseless nonsense.

4 Likes

Revolut includes Kids account as well. Even if I am monzo fun, it really interests me to get a revolut card to explore the way they do business. It seems that they move faster than monzo. The only thing i am thinking is how safe these quick movements can be for them and their company.

1 Like

As much as i think it would be a good area to move into id like to think monzo do some proper research into if itll be profitable or not first.

No point spreading themselves thin once again and targeting another account type or customer market if they arent sure itll be profitable.

Next moves need to be home runs

1 Like

I think missed opportunity too. We use go Henry with our kids for this purpose. Was thinking of swapping to rooster but I can’t seem to make the jump. We’ve been with go Henry for nearly 4 years.

1 Like

HyperJar are coming onto the market soon in this area.

Perhaps an alternative?

https://join.hyperjar.com/child-card-waiting-list/Hyperjar kids

1 Like

We’ve opened a metro bank child account and a gohenry

Metro print the card on site when you open the account. However if you go to the Newport Road branch in Cardiff and use an adoption birth certificate the manager will freeze the account as this govt issued document they don’t see as a valid form of id.

1 Like

Looks interesting.

Struggling to find actual detail on their site yet though.

Site is very colourful :sunglasses:

Update: Spoken to HyperJar Chat.

You need to hold an adult account with them and can then apply for up to two free kids’ cards. Zero fees.

Card only, initially. Access from Parent app.

Sounds to me a bit like Starling Connected Card, but with the added advantage of being able to use the card for online transactions.

No ATM access, so kids cannot withdraw from card into cash.

That said, they can use in-store, where Mastercard accepted (pretty much anywhere) so would that enable a cashback at POS option? Not sure if possible on pre-paid cards.

One worth thinking about until others come to fruition.

2 Likes

My daughters just about to start secondary school and it would be really useful if we could just give her a card of some kind with an easy way for us to add money to it for her to use for small purchases. It’s such a shame monzo is 16+. It mean I’ll have to sign up with another provider which is less than perfect :frowning:

I got my first kids piggy bank account with Barclays. 30 years later I was still using Barclays!. Just think of the customers you could be losing!

2 Likes

Worth noting ‘legacy banks’ offer teenagers (and younger) accounts with debit cards for free.

4 Likes

Hi, HyperJar is launching their kids cards mid October 2020 for kids under 16.
No atm but they will have an app, a card and can spend while us parents monitor it through the app. Come on MONZO!!! We need this, please.

1 Like

I’d be very interested to check out the kids accounts which the ‘legacy banks’ currently provide to the same, or better, experience than the gohenry solution - for the same or less money. Please let me know and I’ll check it/them out.

The Starling connected card is a very attractive option - but not a total solution to the kids card thang.

I’m constantly searching but haven’t found anything yet - but would welcome alternative recommendations which I may not be aware of

1 Like

Nimbl is cheaper than GoHenry and designed for same purpose.

Not legacy though.

Although… it is 50p cheaper per month on the monthly charging and doesn’t seem to have the +50p per extra top-up in a monthly cycle, so :man_shrugging: let’s try it!

1 Like

I haven’t used GoHenry but looking at is website, I would prefer to educate kids to operate a ‘proper’ bank account rather than something that looks focused on pocket money etc (especially if they are older) - as banks tend to pay decent interest rates to kids.

You could also look at something like https://roostermoney.com/gb/ if you wanted something cheaper than GoHenry but seems similar theme

All the big banks, HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, TSB, Nationwide etc offer kids accounts

1 Like

My legacy offers accounts for 11+

Probably wont suit you though as ni only.

https://danskebank.co.uk/personal/products/current-accounts/discovery

1 Like

As someone who has been full Monzo for some time, with kids at secondary school, this is the key feature I am missing, and it must apply to plenty of others, as per the thread above. Yes, I have voted for it before.
In my opinion, it doesn’t need to be as full featured as some of the competition to be interesting. Secondary school kids (different product to younger children) only really need:

1. The ability to pay contactless with their phone - they nearly all have a smartphone of some type.
  2. An account parents or others can pay into.
  3. A simplified version of the Monzo app to see what they have spent, balances and notifications.
  4. No overdraft or ability to go overdrawn so there is no risk of getting into a problem.
  5. A way to take control of that account once they hit 16.

I can’t even see that much need for them to withdraw cash, though I guess a card as a backup would be nice. This is about being able to pay for items such as transport, food and entertainment with their savings or in an emergency.

If as a parent I could then see those same transactions and the balance from my app, job done. The fact that it is all in one app makes it so convenient, and I would pay a small amount for it per month.

Please don’t bundle this with the main Monzo Plus (or at least don’t mandate that link) as that at present strikes me as targeting a different demographic. Get this parent/child link right and you have a different set of users prepared to pay something for a convenient, good service.

4 Likes

Have you tried Revolut Kids 7-17 ?

1 kid (on the £0 month) or 2 kids (you need the premium account £6.99)

I think go Henry is £3 per child, so you could have the younger on that and the older on the free Revolut.

https://www.revolut.com/get-junior-card

1 Like