Face coverings in shops 24/7/20

Very sad that this needs to be a law.

Why is that lucky? You protect yourself and others by wearing one. Having an exception isnā€™t an advantage

3 Likes

Has your doctor said you get an exception?

Thereā€™s a misconception that all asthmatics are exempt but itā€™s only some. I have asthma and i wear one

3 Likes

i got a exception card

1 Like

Iā€™d rather wear a mask than have bad asthma. :confused:

1 Like

I understand that part but I wouldnā€™t say youā€™re lucky. Asthma isnā€™t nice.

Nether is it lucky not to wear a mask. Youā€™re just putting yourself and others at greater risk :confused:

1 Like

Iā€™m reminded of when I was at university and a friend of mine had a latex allergy.

His problem then is the problem you have now. That you donā€™t have to wear the protective material doesnā€™t change the fact that you are at risk. And the only way now to lower your risk is to avoid the risky activity as much as possible instead, given you canā€™t use the one thing that would make such activities safer.

Needless to say, my friend didnā€™t consider himself lucky back then at all.

2 Likes

From your doctor, or one anyone can get for less than Ā£1?

3 Likes

Iā€™m expecting most people to wear them. It annoys me that shop workers are allowed to not wear them. Iā€™ll still be wearing one, and a face shield though. Canā€™t help but feel like itā€™s just a way of businesses not having to provide them. :roll_eyes:

We got an email from head office that said: "As always, the safety of our colleagues and customers is always our priority and we have worked hard over the last few months to create a safe environment to work and shop in.

For colleagues, we have provided face visors, which are believed to be better protection than face coverings, like masks. This is because they cover the entire face, including the eyes, nose and mouth and offers additional protection and prevention against both the spreading and contracting of the virus. They can also be washed and re-used ā€“ more environmentally friendly and cost-effective."

It annoys me, too.

My local Co-Op has a sign outside saying that they encourage customers to use face coverings. So I wear one to protect everyone else in the shop. The staff donā€™t wear any face covering. The way I see it is, Iā€™m not wearing a face covering for fun; Iā€™m doing it to protect them. It would only be polite for them to reciprocate.

4 Likes

Research suggests the shields are less effective than masks and should be worn in addition to masks not instead of as protection for the eyes.

1 Like

Itā€™s a lot easier for a customer to wear one for 10 minutes then staff having to wear one for 8 hours. It makes communication harder with customers, especially those with less than perfect hearing

3 Likes

Iā€™m a bit on the back burner with this - itā€™s enough to self-declare so are some people buying cards?

I got the below text from my GP practice, Iā€™m assuming because patients were asking for proof and overwhelming the appointments:

1 Like

Staff have been provided with masks to wear since the end of March too. It is annoying, to say the least.

2 Likes

Just worn mine for the first time in the butchers.

He canā€™t hear/understand me very easily, so I resorted to pointing and holding my fingers up for how many I wanted :rofl:

1 Like

My main mask annoyance is that my beard doesnā€™t fit inside of it, and it leaves a dimple in my beard that I canā€™t brush out :cry:

Such a problem.

Well, have I got mask for you!

4 Likes

I would have thought shop workers would be covered by existing health and safety at work legislation. And just sheer profit motiveā€¦ having half your workers off sick because you wouldnā€™t provide them with a mask costing about 50p is false economy.

That seems counterproductive. A GP knows the medical history and can tell those that genuinely shouldnā€™t wear masks that (same as they did for safeguarding). Self declaration just means people will opt out because they had a bit of a sniffle in 1973ā€¦

2 Likes

And hereā€™s me thinking youā€™re all smooth-faced like Marlon Brando :exploding_head:

1 Like