Extra annual leave due to Covid - COps treated differently?

I read it differently I must say

One of the follow up tweets:

due to Covid COps already has a substantial holiday surplus to the point they’ve had to force people to book X days by the end of September.

Which reads to me like the problem is to make sure they have taken their leave within the year, which adding four more days this year would only add to

2 Likes

My reading was that this issue predated Covid based on:

Eg. People last year being unable to book all their holiday (as the forecasted demand said no) yet only being able to roll over a small portion for just Jan.

1 Like

Again, that’s poor time management on the part of the employees. It sucks, but that’s simply the way it is in any business.

At a previous job, our holiday year ran October-September, and I’ve definitely lost a few days as September was the busiest time of the year for the company.

It’s a mistake you don’t make twice.

1 Like

This is a really interesting part of the conversation:

6 Likes

Side note - I didn’t realise that @Rika had quit. I think that is a big loss for Monzo.

14 Likes

I think she’s Schrödinger’s employee at the moment. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I didn’t realise how many employees who regularly visited these forums have now left.

1 Like

I don’t like speculating on individual’s personal/professional circumstances, but for what it’s worth, Rika still has a staff badge on her forum profile.

3 Likes

Hmmm

Well best of wishes to her and I hope she finds something that works out better for her happiness wise

10 Likes

Aw :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve only ever worked for the same mahoosive company and its successors down the years, so know no different

I guess someone who has been at Monzo for a few years will have seen massive changes from small to largish. The inevitable (and in lots of cases necessary) changes won’t work for everyone, witness Simon recently leaving for parts newer and smaller

3 Likes

To set some things clear here, I’m still legally an employee of Monzo for about three more weeks. :slightly_smiling_face:

COVID-19 had a huge impact on my life across the board (140 days stuck inside shielding really takes its toll!), and I’m leaving for personal reasons to take some time out before starting an entirely new chapter of my life with a new challenge.

I have been at Monzo for three years now, and the community forum for over four. I have seen Monzo from a tiny alpha prepaid card all the way through to nearly four and a half million users and overseen payment systems moving millions of pounds a day. I’m super proud of everything I have accomplished in that time. It’s been some real fun and I’ve met many incredible people here. :heart:

My work is being left in extremely good hands, and I would appreciate it if you didn’t read too much into my departure, there’s no huge conspiracy here. :sweat_smile:

53 Likes

How very dare you add in comments to dismiss any conspiracy theories, the curtain twitchers won’t be happy now.

Good luck for the future :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Succinctly & sincerely, thank you for the insights and detailed explanations on banking background you have provided - and best wishes for your future endeavours.

3 Likes

Good luck in the next adventure :blush: I’ve always loved reading your posts on the forum explaining and breaking stuff down, so thank you :pray: You’ll be missed here :heart:

4 Likes

One thing I’ll never forget Simon saying is, the staff that are a good fit for a small start-up are not necessarily the same staff that are a good fit for a large and sprawling company. It seems appropriate to remember that now.

I’ve always valued youur input on this community, both in your personal capacity before you started working at Monzo and your professional capacity after that. I really respect your commitment to transparency, and I’ve learned a lot about how various payments things work in general as a result, to take one area as an example. I will you all the very best with your future endeavours.

16 Likes

My very best wishes. Take care of yourself

3 Likes

Aha! I knew it!!!

Good luck with the rest and the next challenge!

3 Likes

It’s unfortunate that you had to (or felt the need to) write this :pensive:

6 Likes

Best of luck Rika!

On the original subject… I’ve had various roles over the years where I or others weren’t allowed to take holiday at certain times, or when others were off etc. That’s just life I’m afraid.

3 Likes