Exclude certain categories from overall spend

Personally, I find myself entering a state of depression when I see my overall spend, which makes me very sad.

And the reason why is because my expenses are included in this figure, even though my company pays for them.

It would be nice if I had the option to press down on a category on the targets menu, which caused a little menu to pop up where I could select “hide from overall spend” or something like that.

Apart from that, I’m a Monzo Evangelist and do my best to force an invite on every human being I meet. Keep up the good work!

:laughing:

Fortunately, this is something Monzo is working on -

https://community.monzo.com/t/targets-option-to-ignore-expenses/6219/4?u=alexs

in the meantime, it is a bit manual but you could increase your Overall Monthly Target by the amount that you’ve paid towards your expenses, to take the sadness away :smiley:

I am on android and don’t know how targets work but is there not already an “Expenses” category on the transactions? Does manually assigning a transaction to “Expense” not stop it from contributing to other categories spending? If not, would this not be a very easy change to make in programming?

No it doesn’t.

Sometimes these changes are more complex than they appear :grimacing:

2 Likes

That changes everything then, as I said I’m not sure about targets, was just asking the question. Are the above categories just mere tags then with no real effect on anything much?

:raised_hands: Hands up, in the light of the above revelation, it doesn’t seem a minor edit no more. You are right too, sometimes the simple looking things are not the easiest to fix. Wasn’t having a go, genuinely curious.

As far as I know, they’re only linked to Targets at the moment. But in the future, they’ll have a lot more significance because they’ll be factored into Monzo’s ‘insights engine’. So it’s worth managing them fairly carefully.

No worries, I didn’t assume that you were :slight_smile:

Thanks for linking that! I should’ve checked really.

1 Like