The Eurovision Song Contest

He’s vowed to host it in Mariupol next year.

1 Like

Interesting, this says he’s said next year on Facebook, other news agencies are reporting he said ‘one day in a rebuilt Mariupol’ on instagram, which seems a bit more realistic to me, eg Eurovision win brings 'incredible happiness' to Ukraine - BBC News

Even if the war ended tomorrow, seems very unlikely Mariupol would be in a state to host Eurovision this time next year.

3 Likes

All I’ll say is everyone has always under estimated Ukraine.

Let’s see what happens. :eyes:

1 Like

Ah glad I missed the trash event :sweat_smile: one bonus to not really keeping up with live broadcasts on TV :joy:

2 Likes

Yet, you watch doctor poo! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Over 12 hours later and I’m still struggling to understand why you’d call a wolf Keith

3 Likes

It’s fine you can be called Jim if you don’t like that.

On the result; I’m not mad Ukraine won really. I don’t think in other years the song would have won though.

In my heart I’m happy Ukraine won; my head says the UK really won (second place was always going to be the “winner” in other years).

I hope we put in an effort to host. I cannot imagine Ukraine being ready to host and have that many tourists by next year.

2 Likes

No I agree although I think it would’ve been top 5, obviously people showing solidarity was what made it get the biggest televote in history.

There were a lot of very boring ballads this year, Ukraine did stand out. I wonder what would have happened if their song was totally rubbish.

Anyway, like you I’m glad they won, it’s more than just the music this year

1 Like

Oof. Powerful stuff.

I don’t begrudge Ukraine their win at all, it’s a decent song and probably would’ve performed well even without everything else going on.

2 Likes

What towns do we have that are twinned with, say, Mariupol, Kyiv or Kharkov?

The BBC had already suggested Glasgow as their preferred location.

Edinburgh is twinned with Kyiv though

1 Like

Did a little research.

Lviv is twinned with Rochdale. Odessa with Liverpool. And Yalta with Margate.

No UK twin for Mariupol, which is where I think Ukraine said they wanted to hold the contest.

2 Likes

from what I’ve heard from friends at the Beeb, they’ve been prepping like they won from the morning after Turin, and the Hydro has a provisional booking already penciled in

4 Likes

Awesome! Hopefully it does end up being in Scotland.

Considering they used the Hydro in Glasgow for the Netflix movie, it’d be perfect to host it up here given that Ukraine won’t be able to.

1 Like

Official.

2 Likes

I’d hope that it can still be a Ukrainian event, organised by Ukrainians, but held in UK.

2 Likes

Thr BBC are the ones that seem to be financing it the most so id expect they would get considerable say.

I think it should have a significant Ukrainian feel but still have some connections to the UK. It would feel wrong to essentially ignore the fact it is in the UK.

It will be impossible to ignore the fact that’s in the UK, but at every point it should be clear that it is really Ukraine’s Eurovision, and that we are only hosting it because of the terrible circumstances. The main focus should be on Ukraine. There must be skilled refugees in the country who could be involved to make it more Ukrainian, I wonder if the BBC can make that happen.

Any mention of the UK should I think be apologetic, almost. It would feel crass to big up the UK in a ‘rah-rah’ way, given the circumstances.

2 Likes