Energy Supplier Discussion

Readings will show in this app whatever, but will calculate prices from the Agile tariff which this is what this App is for.

Your meter readings will be pulled into this app usually 2 days later, once it has got full days readings from Octopus. It is is missing any periods the app.wont display that particular day until complete data for that period.

So for yesterday, would see days tomorrow

1 Like

The API feed on the octopus watch app took a while to show populate, maybe a week or so before it had a few days of data and its always a few days lag on it. You should be able to see more update to date data on the octopus website.

If like me you’re on Octopus grab yourself a little reward below…

2 Likes

So I’ve been monitoring my usage on Octopus Watch and it looks like Agile is going to save me quite a bit.

Love finally having actionable data on my usage.

1 Like

I’m just waiting for E.ON to give me my final bill so I can upload it to Bulb to get me exit fees paid and then Agile here I come

I’ve been comparing GO to agile for a little while now and in our case we’re better off on Go (at least until we get some battery storage).

Our usage tends to peak around the same time as the Agile rates peak (which is sort of expected).

1 Like

Assuming that you’re exporting the Octopus Watch data for the charts? What tool are you using to chart?

I’d love this but they cant install a smart meter in my home because the signal is too poor in my area :sob:

Yep, I periodically export the CSV, copy paste it into a google sheets doc that has a few helper columns (such as year, month, etc), then do a pivot table to display the data in a nice format for graphs. Here’s a template that you can try out, just keep in mind it might need tweaking for you needs. Just paste your CSV export from Octopus Watch app in to the first sheet.

2 Likes

This came up whilst I was browsing the news today

I still recall years back when I joined them it was a revelation just getting pretty much instant billing upon putting in a reading.

I’d not realised that they license out parts of their billing system to other suppliers.

1 Like

On a different note just got my final bill from E.ON with my exit fees on. I’ve just uploaded the statement to Bulb and got an instant email to say they’ve credited my account with the £60. :ok_hand:

1 Like

I had the same experience when I previously switched to them. Very slick.

2 Likes

Finally got an :octopus: engineer appointment to replace the old ex-Scottish Power SMETS1 ‘smart’ meter for a SMETS2 smart meter and then switch from our current 12M fixed plan to Agile.

:electric_plug: Should be Agile by late-Jan. Exciting!

3 Likes

I’d be interested in hearing how you get on with the v2 IHD. We had one fitted about a month ago and in the ensuing few weeks have had 3 power cuts. That knocks the IHD connection off and I have to apply to Bulb for a re-set. Last one took 10 days. Not a big issue as daily consumption is available on their website. I’m leaving it after the last power cut see if it resets itself without my intervention. R-

Having now switched to Octopus and obtained access to my data through the API, I can even more confidently say that the IHDs are just complete POSs.

Even ten years ago surely anyone could have seen that accessing data through the web / mobile was the way to go.

I can’t imagine how much money we’re throwing away handing out these turds to every household.

2 Likes

I agree - but I’m not overly fussed. The main objective was to get a meter that supplied usage data to the supplier that did not entail me climbing a step ladder every month to read the meter. I mean, I am knocking on the door of 70. R-

2 Likes

I’m new to smart meters, having recently moved in to a house with a SMETS2 smart meter and IHD from one of the traditional suppliers (npower IIRC).

I’ve just completed the switch to Octopus Agile today. However, up until now, when it was just being used as a dumb system by the supplier, I didn’t keep the IHD plugged in. I just plugged it in when I needed to supply a meter reading.

Why did yours need resetting after a power cut?

We have had 3 power cuts of >2h duration. I understand the IHD will maintain its settings for c. 1h on the internal battery. After that … start again. R-

Why would you need to do this? The whole point of the meter being smart is that the readings are automatic.

1 Like

My battery lasts around 8 hours

1 Like