Energy Supplier Discussion

I’ve apparently signed up in one life or another as I received a “We’re changing our privacy policy” email from them last year. Guess I’ll play the “try to remember my login” game…

EDIT: Closed my account as they don’t give me the option to be non-binary. Also requested deletion of my details. Oh well.

1 Like

Im really pleased with Octopus, just switched a couple of months ago. Price differences may be small between your cheapest 2-3 providers, but i have really valued the way Octopus communicate through email and their app -the right info where I need it. Was with Eon before which I found really confusing.

Vaguely relevant to this thread - if anyone is looking to sign up to Bulb, I have a £100 referral bonus:

Money saving expert recommended Green Network Energy. They’re offering a £30 bonus by using my referral link. Very happy with them!

What better time to switch now with all that snow and cold weather - You get £50 just for joining with this link. They pay your exit fees too! :smiley: https://bulb.co.uk/refer/danh0467

Just a quick note to say thanks to Katie for the Bulb referral! Definitely made the switch even more of a no-brainer…

I’ll pay it forward too if anyone else fancies £50 for helping save the planet :slight_smile:

I used hers as well…wonder how many people did and how much she made lol!

Bulb have just starting providing SMETS2 smart meters to their customers too, which is another plus if you don’t already have a smart meter

1 Like

I just switched from Octopus to Bulb !
Here is my referral code if anyone needs one :wink:

Got a smets1 meter here. Really hoping they push the smets2 update out soon!

Not £100 any more I think, but I’ve used yours!

Here’s my link

Having seen the feed item for “Switch your energy supplier” this morning, I thought I’d get a quote from Octopus through Monzo. My quote is £29 a month for a 2 bed flat (electric only), when an identical quote from Bulb is £50. What’s going on here? I was under the impression both suppliers were usually at a similar price point.

How many details did you give for the Octopus quote? It’s only a guess based on information available so if the information is poor then the guess will be too.

Just the details above - 2 bed flat, electric only, standard meter.

I only switched to Bulb last month but if I can save such a considerable amount I might switch again.

It’s up to you, of course, but it sounds like neither supplier actually know what you use in real life yet, so you’re balancing two estimates against one another, both of which may be seriously out of whack with reality.

Personally, I look for quotes based on a realistic number of unit of power rather than “we see you have two bedrooms” guesses.

1 Like

To follow up on that, I dug out my bill from Bulb for last month and compared to the Octopus tariff details in the Monzo app:

413kwh over 28 days

413kwh Bulb = £52.82

413kwh Octopus = £61.95

Standing charge Bulb = £5.45

Standing charge Octopus = £5.32

VAT Bulb = £2.91

VAT Octopus = £3.36

Bulb total cost = £61.18

Octopus total cost = £70.63

So Octopus’ quote seems far too low in comparison, and I’m best sticking with Bulb for now.

Looks like it. I’ve been meaning to do the same comparison for my house.

1 Like

Just a wee reminder of my post from December - if you’re prepared to add Pure Planet to your comparison, they are almost always better value for Dual Fuel, non-Economy 7 properties.

If you are electric only, Bulb is almost always the best deal.

Obviously your own particular circumstances might be different, but sadly MonzOctopus did not really compare well in my own analysis (unless you’re a very low usage, Electric only customer).

As before, not trying to evangelise about anything - just trying to help everyone find what works for them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was out on price for me too by about £15. I only switch in late January so I know Bulb was the cheapest.

1 Like

I like how Monzo has the same deal as the friend referral that Octopus has does that mean we are all friends of Monzo :joy:

1 Like