Energy Supplier Discussion

This is quite a common legal term/clause - as you can technically contract out to different jurisdictions and/or go through different countries mediation/ alternative dispute resolution services if it isn’t in there - I agree, still weirdly specific…

1 Like

Ah makes sense. :sweat_smile:
I have to admit I’m surprised its legal to increase a direct debit before telling you(Surely there has to be some form of consent?).
Its a Pity no one from Monzo’s legal team could comment on this if they know.
Also apologies adding to the derailing of this Thread(Should probably be spilt out :joy:)

They are required by Ofgem rules to demonstrate when challenged how they reached the new direct debit amount.

If you then disagree with the calculations, you can provide meter readings or your own calculations to show what you think it should be.

If they disagree or ignore your email or ignore the email asking for how they reached the amount, and they still plan on taking the new direct debit then get the DD reversed by your bank (if ridiculously excessive) and get Ombudsman Services on the case and they’ll force them to set it to the correct amount, refund additional credit, and compensate for having to deal with it.

1 Like

I’ve seen quite a few people get very speedy results with Resolver, I’ve haven’t used it myself but they’ll make the Ombudsman Services case on your behalf. I assume it can sometimes be speedier as they make direct contact before starting the case to say look we’re going to process this case if you don’t respond / resolve.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

Switched from Bulb to Octopus. Hard credit search from octopus :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. When I switched to Bulb they carried out soft check only

A post was merged into an existing topic: Referral Wiki: Post/Find Here

Never used them myself, but shame to see Labrador go bust

Anyone else beginning to think that there are too many energy companies?

1 Like

So this is not actually an energy company, but a company that monitors your energy bills and auto switches you if there is a better deal?..

I think I can manage that aspect of my life without someone else doing it for me to be honest.

I see Labrador’s website is still up and running and I cannot see any mention of the story on their Twitter feed, assuming of course that I am looking at the correct website of the company involved…

1 Like

Yes, that’s right. An energy supply auto switcher (similar to Flipper). There’s nothing on their website or Twitter but Crowdcube are reporting they have gone into administration.

Well I don’t have smart meters anyway because the energy company I am with does not yet offer them, but even so, I’d rather have control of my own energy switching than let one of these companies do it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they offer a great service to those that feel they either do not have the time to keep an eye on things themselves, or just simply cannot be bothered with the perceived ‘faff’ of energy switching.

Personally, I signed up to MSE Energy Club and I get emails if another company is cheaper than my current tariff, that way I can decide myself if I want to switch energy provider. As things stand, my current small independent energy provider is doing a great job and I cannot find a single energy tariff that currently beats the 15 month fix I’m currently on.

Probably. Capitalism will sort it out for us, tho.

1 Like

I am with Octopus having moved there from British Gas over a year ago. At the time, OutFoxThe Market were the cheapest when I did a comparison but I decided to go with Octopus as there wasn’t too much difference in the projected monthly costs.
For the first time in a long time, I found that the projected monthly cost was correct - and didn’t spend the first few months having my payment adjusted (as has happened previously with some of the bigger companies).
I like the fact that as soon as I provide a meter reading, it makes an immediate adjustment on my account so I can see how much credit is on my account (unlike the big suppliers where you have to wait a few days).
Whenever I have contacted them by email, I have always received a reply within 24 hours - and sometimes within an hour or so!
My tariff came to an end in Feb, and I decided to stay with them - I have been an energy tart for many years and this is the first time I have stayed with my current supplier. I looked at Bulb, but the difference in price wasn’t enough to make me want to change.
I would certainly recommend Octopus - here’s my referral code if anyone would like a £50 credit (and I get £50 too!)

1 Like

It might have been mentioned before, but energy prices can vary significantly regionally. So whilst one particular energy company may offer great tariffs in one area, they may well be more expensive in another region even with discount referral codes. It’s always worth using a comparison site to input your previous year’s total kwh spend to see exactly what it’s going to cost.

The great thing I like about my present supplier, is monthly paperless billing. I obviously pay a set amount by direct debit monthly, but on submission of my monthly meter readings, I get a monthly bill so I can see exactly how much I’m spending on my energy. This of course all relies on me as the homeowner to submit monthly meter readings. The only issue I currently have, is that as we are now moving into summer and my heating will effectively be switched off for the next 5 months, my direct debit will be taking far more than it needs to. I have yet to see whether my energy company will reduce the amount to save me needlessly building up far too much credit. I’m due a bill next week and I’m likely to be about £120 in credit after April’s bill has been taken. I’ll be asking for a £70 refund and see how long it takes me to get my own money back.

For me, it’s easier to pay a flat rate across the year and budget accordingly. As long as I’m at around break-even point when each 12 months is up then that’s all I really bother about.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Referral Wiki: Post/Find Here

Just an FYI for anyone looking to switch to Bulb - they are currently running a shared £150 referral credit offer (£75 goes to each instead of their usual £50 offer) for the next 7 days.

I put a referral link in the “Referral Wiki” thread - but anyone looking to sign up may benefit from a referral than going direct for the next week.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Referral Wiki: Post/Find Here

Hi Ben, thanks for this tip and the Bulb v Octopus comparison. I’m considering switching to Bulb so if it’s okay (assume it is!) will use your link at the top of this thread. Btw do you happen to know if Bulb 100% carbon offset gas now?
Thanks
Ben

I Googled your exact question and found this article:

1 Like