End of Month Savings

One feature I used to like with First direct (not sure if they still do it) was a remit set on the account so that on a day specified by yourself it would move anything over your chosen amount into your savings account.

E.g. you get paid on the 25th of every month, you set it so that at the end of the 24th, any monies over the amount you have chosen would automatically move to your savings…

3 Likes

This is their ‘savings sweep’. I’d like to be able to use it, but the thing is I can be paid up to three days early (accounting for bank holidays) and I’d therefore have to set my sweep that early, as leaving it until the usual day before would run the risk of my entire salary being swept if paid in early.

First Direct also make a bigger deal of pending transactions, especially in their app. I’d like to think the sweep would take into account any amount they know will be debited shortly afterwards, but I’m just not confident their systems would be that intelligent to pair the two occurrences (impending automated sweep vs. impending transaction) as their computer system is so ancient.

First Direct’s saving grace here is their fee-free £250 overdraft, but I shouldn’t have to rely on an overdraft to cover inadvertent eventualities related to saving money!

In theory I’d love this kind of facility, but I’d have to trust :monzo: Monzo would build something awesome and intelligent.

1 Like

Just been thinking about this. It’s basically what Chip, Moneybox, Plum etc. offer so maybe :monzo: Monzo won’t need to build anything.

1 Like