Emma Feedback Thread / Q&A

They never approached me and as you can also see, the journalist can’t even type my name: “Co-founder Eduordo Moreni”. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

If you’ve ever been interviewed by a journalist this would not be a surprise. Even relatively benign journalists selectively quote to tell the story they want to tell rather than the one you thought you were giving.

7 Likes

(happy cake day)

3 Likes

Seems like they’ve just been looking for some extra clicks and eyeballs on their stupid website, and the recent Facebook scandal is the perfect opportunity.

There are indeed issues with how Emma uses a Facebook-powered login and analytics service but that’s got nothing to do with financial data or open banking - any app from any developer can have this same third-party spyware included, open banking or not.

The reference to Monzo and Starling’s prepaid cards are also outdated… come on, the Monzo CA has been in open beta since August, and Starling even before that. Would be nice if the media stopped promoting the “prepaid” aspect of the cards (which is no more anyway).

It’s actuslly disappointing that media brings up all these data privacy issues but completely misses the point and doesn’t give a clear call to action as to what to do or not do; for example all this nonsense about Cambridge Analytica while in fact the real issue is stupid people agreeing to a ton of permissions to take a quizz (or whatever excuse CA used) spammed by their “friends”… as it stands people will learn nothing and next time someone posts another link asking for permissions they will click right through it yet again. Rinse and repeat… :pensive:

Also I’m on mobile and I can’t check, but could anyone open their website on desktop and screenshot their adblocker’s blocked elements list? I would bet good money their website has at least a Facebook like button, and most likely even more shit. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

9 were tracking;

If any app from any developer can use a third party software that helps improving the experience, I don’t see the issue. We wouldn’t be so stupid to include something that would damage our users and the hard work we are putting it in (24/7) to make this happen.

I would also avoid making false claims online, otherwise we all end up on The Herald. :joy::joy:

ps: she has got back to me, I am waiting for a direct message on Twitter.

3 Likes

Is there anything in the Roadmap for being able to only show spending from one Amex Card user that’s on the same bill?

1 Like

Do you mean the Amex card is shared between 2 people? I think custom tags might be helpful for that. :slight_smile:

Not where two people share one card but there are supplementary cards on the same account. It would be good if you could choose to only import / see the data from one card. :slight_smile: The spending of the different cards come up on one bill but listed under each card holders name with a sperate total. Then a total for the bill which the account holder/ main card user pays.

There was a bug where the Amex supplementary card charges appeared twice, once for the supplementary card account and again cos they appear on the main account too - has this been fixed?

Hi Jack, so what you can quickly do is to hide one card. There are 3 dots on top of each account card. That’s the easiest way to solve the problem (the hidden card won’t appear anywhere else).

In term of the bug, the software is just getting all the cards from AMEX and the correspondent transactions. We don’t know which we should exclude upfront.

1 Like

The supplementary cards don’t have a ‘total balance’ associated with them, it should be possible to find them and exclude them.

Yes, but on our side we don’t know if you want to see them or not. However, what we are thinking to introduce is the ability to select what accounts you would like to import rather than getting everything. In this scenario, you would see the two cards and select only the first.

1 Like

I want to see them but not have them count twice in the figures.

Then hiding is the best solution. In this way, they won’t count twice.

Has anyone saves up to £600 yet?

Is there an “official” forum for the app and/or a roadmap we can view?

E.g. The website shows things like a car loan “countdown” that doesn’t appear to be in the app yet? Or if it is in the app I haven’t worked out how to set it up.

I have used the live support and, credit due, they are very responsive but I don’t want to bug them with questions/suggestions that are already answered and I imagine as more people start to use it those response times will get slower.

Has anyone saved anything yet? I think to save £600 you would have to be in a shocking state to begin with. Would be more interested to know what anyone has saved. E.g has it help identify those subscriptions you forgot you had. Even then that’s a one off change that won’t apply next year.

2 Likes

The “forgotten subscriptions” thing is completely irrelevant here on the Monzo forums where :monzo: and other fintechs already make all transactions visible to you. I guess people on legacy banks could forget subscriptions but I can’t imagine anyone doing so with a challenger bank.

I still like the fact that Emma shows you whether the subscription amount has changed at all. It reduces the amount of cognitive load that you’d use up trying to remember what you should be paying. And personally, I don’t remember that sort of thing at all.

5 Likes