Emma Feedback Thread / Q&A

I need to look into this more, but I thought that PSD2 (the Payment Services Directive, part 2) was solution agnostic like @anon23935806 suggests, but that @jzw95 you’re right that the UK has chosen an enhanced implementation.

This might be where I am confused. I understood that Open Banking was only mandated for the top 8 (?) UK providers, whereas based on what @edo1493 says, all providers will be obliged to comply with PSD2 but not necessarily using the open banking APIs?

Anyone from Monzo able to pop in and educate us? :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Harry, we are discussing with our provider today-tomorrow, so we can know more regarding MBNA.

PSD2 is the legal framework that governs a few things such as the access to bank accounts / display of information or the initiation of payments (moving money from bank A -> B).

Open Banking is just a shared protocol they are trying to build, but it’s not related with the legislation, which is actually the biggest “banking revolution” of the past years.

3 Likes

We have just released an update that includes rents/loans and any other recurring payment we were missing. :wink:

Weekly reports are coming…

5 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. No updates on the Play Store yet, though. Does it take a while to filter out?

The update is on the server, not the stores. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@edo1493 will we be able to search on multiple tags soon?

Ah ha! Any ETA that you can share? :wink:

We are going to work on this (next 3 mons):

• Payday
  • Merchants in Analytics
  • Search
  • New Feed
  • Better Accounts view
  • The ability to add missing subscriptions by tagging them.

Hope to ship everything asap. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@edo1493 which banks are you connecting to using API’s so far?

I’m still reluctant to add everything to Emma when I’m being asked for pins and passwords…

1 Like

We use TrueLayer for every connection apart from Monzo and Starling. A few banks have released their Open Banking implementation, but at this point, we are not looking forward to moving. The problem with OB is that it’s still to early and most of the APIs don’t work for what we do.

• We can only refresh data 4 times a day.
  • Current accounts are only available.
  • We don’t see information such as account numbers and sort codes (useful for detecting internal transactions)
  • The access is revoked after 90 days for no reason.

Scraping still guarantees a high level of performance and in the past 15 years there hasn’t been a single incident. In terms of security, I would be more worried about buying things online with my credit card. It takes very little to clone it.

7 Likes

TrueLayer:

I don’t have enough security specific knowledge to judge this.

4 Likes

It looks really good to us. We have been in the industry for several years and there are some companies who offer similar services whose security is embarrassing. However, there hasn’t been a single incident. :sweat_smile:

I would be more worried about banks, at least they don’t just offer a read-only service.

2 Likes

There’s a couple things that aren’t super ideal - the main one being that the encryption of your details happens on TrueLayers system so if you can compromise it you may be able to just nab all keys that are created or even the credentials yourself. Or any time the key is handed over to fetch fresh data there’s an opportunity there where everything you need is present :man_shrugging:

Security is never perfect and with this sort of architecture you’re always going to have to hand over your credentials somehow. I’m happy enough using this for my two cents

1 Like

:wave: hello to journalists! (This link explains why, and why this thread)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16158017.Does_the_Facebook_data_scandal_raise_questions_about_open_banking_/

(It’s about the Facebook scandal, use of Facebook by Emma and quotes comments on this forum. It’s all a bit confused, I think. Especially about the relationship between Monzo and Emma.)

1 Like

Is it just me or is there a beautiful irony in them lifting comments from here without permission in a story about data being used without permission?

Think their editor wanted a story linked to the senate hearings and gave them 5 minutes to write it

Edit: yes I know there’s a difference between private data and open forum

4 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a reasonable expectation that what we say here stays private, given it’s public and all that :wink:, but if the forum members quoted weren’t approached before publication that would seem to be bad form on the part of the journalist.

I’m a little more worried at a) picking selective posts, b) not quoting Edo’s responses on here (did they approach you for comment, @edo1493?) - so to be fair and balanced and all that, and c) that the respective roles of Monzo, Emma and Facebook aren’t made clear (and in the case of Monzo seems to suggest a stronger link than there is)…

[Edit, the article does actually quote @edo1493, but again I’d argue that it’s a bit out of context and makes it appear as if he’s defending data slurping in a rather blasé way…]

2 Likes

Also they say Monzo and Starling link prepaid cards to apps. This from their personal finance writer? For millennials of course because that is a legal must if you mention either company.

It’s very lazy, shoddy journalism

4 Likes

Emma … was launched through popular digital bank Monzo

Where’s that head-in-hands emoji?

4 Likes

At the risk of having a conversation with myself, this makes me cross not so much due to the sloppiness, but because this is a really important conversation to be having - but is being undermined by the inability of the media to cover it properly, and therefore for people to have informed conversations.

4 Likes

it needs staff from Monzo, Emma, Starling etc to respond officially to the article to correct the journalist as this article can do damage to sign up efforts, and incorrect journalism more likely to be repeated on the grapevine than accurate stuff!

5 Likes