EasyJet Misinformation

I read “up to 14 days” as any number of days below 14.

I’m not sure that that is what they say. Isn’t it normally more like “Check in will close 2 hours before departure?”

Anyway, to me it’s ambiguous, partly because the only fixed time mentioned is the day of departure, so I counted backwards from that. It didn’t make sense, but to me, that’s what it said, and there was no way to contact them to find out.

But to give Easyjet their due, they do send an email three weeks before the flight to make sure that passengers know that they can change the flight with no fee if they choose not to travel. And the email is much more clear (to me, anyway).

So, if you said: “Feel free to call me up to 9pm.”

You’d expect someone to call you after 9pm?

3 Likes

No. I’d expect the time they called to be some number up to nine. Like seven, for example.

And I wouldn’t say “up to three hours before midnight.”

1 Like

Another thing. When people say “this”, “next” or “after next” as in This Saturday, Next Saturday or the Saturday After Next!

Gets me every time and I need further clarity.

R-

And another thread probably :crazy_face:

It is ambiguous and technically as it reads it could be either way. But as always with travel I’d assume the later you leave it the harder your life is going to be.

3 Likes

This one is obvious though. No confusion here. This Saturday is the first coming Saturday. Next Saturday is the following one - i.e. the second coming . The one after next is the third Saturday away. I mean how much clearer can it be?

Unless it’s actually Saturday today. In which case, this Saturday doesn’t exist and is replaced by today. Next Saturday is the first coming Saturday, and the one after next is the second. But that all goes without saying.

I should get a job at easyJet

2 Likes

Weird that you’d expect something that says “up to 14 days before” to mean after the 14th day before the event then… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I can see what you mean, but I just think given the context it’s clearer than it seems people think it is.

It’s because the twelfth day before travel is “up to fourteen days before.” It would have been clearer to me if they’d said “more than fourteen days before” I think.

By the use of the word “before” in date/time terms this is actually going up in pure number terms (ie. 15 days is fine, 13 is not). I think you’re confusing the two.

If something is “up to XYZ days AFTER” an event then the numbers go down in pure number terms (ie. 13 days is fine, 15 days is not).

In other words, any phrase containing time/dates that state something must happen “up to XYZ date/time before” the event will always mean that the XZY number will be the minimum number of days prior to the event that something can happen. Any number higher than XYZ is fine, any number lower is not.

Think of numbers around 0, where 0 is the event (the plane departing).

-14 ----- 0 ----- 14

I’m struggling to think of any instance where this isn’t true.

1 Like

But then you get into the realms of what day people’s weeks start on. My family are from the hospitality industry, so their weeks very much started on a changeover day, and references to different days lose meaning quickly with them.